Topiramate (Topamax is the brand name of the drug) is an anticonvulsant drug used to treat seizures and migraines. But sometimes it prescribed for an indication for the treatment of obesity and weight gain control. In 2012, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved topiramate in combination with phentermine to treat issues weigh gain.
How does the topiramate help you lose weight
According to some research, topiramate helps you lose weight effectively, but so far the patient can tolerate its side effects. It was found that patients (suffering from epileptic seizures) when treated with topiramate began to lose weight.
Let’s see how the use of topiramate helps us lose weight.
reduces appetite It is not known exactly how the use of topiramate reduces appetite, but some believed to reduce appetite by altering the process of brain reward, thus makes that people feel less hungry, which in turn controls the craving for food.
affects the addiction center of the brain : According to some, the use of topiramate may affect the center of the brain addiction. As a result, the person using this drug no longer take interest in food, alcohol, etc. This process, in turn, causes the person to lose weight.
alters hormones :. The use of this medicine may alter hormones called cortisol and leptin, which help the body store less fat and regulate appetite, respectively
Disorientation Its use makes the person so disoriented that he or she may forget to eat or not eat more . As a result, the person loses weight.
Ketosis: The use of topiramate promotes ketosis, in which the body uses its own stored fat to energize the body. So ultimately, this process causes the person to lose weight significantly.
alters the taste: Many people, who are in the topiramate, find the least enjoyable meal, so they tend to eat less. This process helps the person to lose weight.
increases metabolism Some believe that topiramate accelerates the metabolism process. We know that a higher rate of metabolism promotes weight loss.
reduces saliva production: The person taking topiramate, experienced reduced production of saliva. The reduced Saliva makes food tasteless and as a result, you eat less or sometimes loses normal appetite.
How to properly use topiramate to lose weight
Weight loss is one of the side effects of taking topiramate. It is a drug out -label for weight loss. So in this case, we have to follow certain things before using topiramate to prevent harmful health problems.
- Always consult a doctor before taking this medication and only take the prescribed dose.
- Follow the instructions carefully before taking topiramate for weight loss.
- Take this medication once daily in the morning on an empty stomach. Do not take this medicine at night as it can hinder your sleep.
- Do not break or chew the capsule. Swallow the capsule whole.
- drink more water after taking this medicine to help prevent kidney stones.
- If you do not lose the desired amount of weight within 12 weeks of time, and then look for the doctor to stop taking it.
What is the right dose for topiramate for weight loss
People who want to lose weight can take topiramate twice a day and the dose starts from 25 mg to 800 mg per day. The person may begin by taking 25 mg of topiramate at first and then you can increase the dose slowly as recommended by the doctor.
According to some research, if a person takes between 100 to 200 mg of topiramate per day can lose 15% to 20% of total body weight and some speculation, more than 200 mg daily intake of topiramate can cause the person to lose weight drastically.
Keep in mind that the dose of this drug varies from person to person. In addition, doses of this drug depend also formed on the basis of this medicine. Weight loss for an adult may be 3.75 milligrams (mg) of phentermine and 23 mg topiramate once a day for 14 days. After the doctor may prescribe to take 7.5 grams of topiramate hentermine and 46gms a day once. Then your doctor may increase the dose to 15 mg phentermine and 92 mg topiramate if necessary.
Note: The information above includes only the average doses of this medicine. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine to know the exact dose of this drug for weight loss goal. overdose of this medicine may cause apathy, fatigue, weakness, dizziness, fatigue and decreased consciousness.
If you miss a dose, take the dose as soon as possible. But if it is time for the next dose, skip it. Remember not to double the dose.
What are the factors that influence the use of topiramate for weight loss
- A person can succeed to lose weight by using topiramate but the effectiveness of this drug for weight loss depends on several other factors such as the time interval, body weight, lifestyle, genetics and other medication.
- If a person has started using topiramate for 1 week, you can not experience weight loss much more compared to a person who has been using for several months. In addition, it is observed that the drug stops working after being used for a longer period of time.
- lifestyle also plays a very important step toward the effectiveness of this drug for weight loss role. The person who gets stressed, eat junk food, and does daily exercise can tend to lose less weight compared to a person who maintains a healthy lifestyle.
- If you are under medication for some other disease, this medicine may not work correctly for weight loss and other drugs can interfere with the effectiveness of topiramate.
Topiramate works differently for different people. While some people experience no side effects, some heavy experience to moderate adverse side effects.
1. Causes numbness and tingling sensation: Few people reported tingling in the arms and legs felt after using topiramate for weight loss
2. Cause fatigue :. It can make you feel tired during the initial stage of this medicine
3. Decreases appetite and taste Change :. The use of this drug affects the person’s appetite and taste changes
4. It affects the concentration level :. Its use can make it difficult for the person to remember things
5. affects muscle coordination: may experience dizziness due to loss of muscle coordination
6. nausea and diarrhea :. you may experience nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, rapid breathing, restlessness and stomach pain after using topiramate
- If you are under medication for some other disease and will take topiramate for weight loss, then tell your doctor about it. It will also inform on herbal products, food supplements and vitamins you are taking, because they can interact with the drug and cause serious side effects.
- If you are taking birth control pills and want to take topiramate for weight loss, then talk to your doctor about it. This medicine may decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills.
- tell your doctor if you become pregnant while taking topiramate necessary measures as this drug may cause birth defects such as cleft lip and cleft palate.
- There are many studies establishing the side effect of this drug on both mother and child when the mother baby takes, but it is still necessary to follow the advice of your doctor before taking this medicine to avoid possible side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you have an allergic reaction to this medicine or any other medicine or if you have any allergies to some foods, preservatives, animals, etc.
- The use of this medicine may suddenly diminish vision. Sometimes it can lead to permanent vision loss if not treated immediately. So in this case, if you experience any side effects on the eyes after using topiramate, then immediately consult your doctor.
- Sometimes it can cause high fever with increased body temperature and decreased sweating. Consult your doctor if you experience high fever after using this medicine.
- using topiramate may increase the level of acid in the blood that may be even more in osteoporosis, osteomalacia, osteopenia, kidney stones, etc. You can also hamper your ability to think. A blood test must be performed before and after taking topiramate to measure the acid level in the blood.
- Although rare and occurs in 1 in 500 cases, the use of topiramate may cause suicidal thoughts or actions. Talk to your doctor if you experience a sudden change in behavior, such as acting aggressively, becoming angry or violent feeling of agitation, insomnia, panic attacks, sudden increase in activity and talking.
- can be increased ammonia levels in the blood which can make you feel tired or slow your alertness and mental activities.
- follow a diet plan and regular exercise regimen with this drug to lose weight effectively but remember to consult your doctor before to do that.
- Women of childbearing age should consult their doctor about using other possible treatments for weight loss instead of topiramate.
- avoid alcohol while on topiramate, as it can cause serious problems.
- not drive or operate machinery while on topiramate.
- Store the medicine in an airtight container and keep in a cool, dry place. Be careful to keep out of the reach of children.
- Discard outdated medicines.
- And last but not least – do not stop taking topiramate without consulting your doctor. It can cause serious problems if you stop suddenly.
Many people have experienced success in losing weight by using topiramate. You can also use it to lose weight. But be sure to consult a doctor before using this medication to prevent their harmful side effects.