The list of individual drugs that cause kidney damage is so long that it is difficult to decide in the top ten. So I chose to list them by type of drugs: antibiotics, analgesics, etc.
The ten drugs that cause kidney damage:
1. antibiotics including ciprofloxacin, methicillin, vancomycin, sulfonamides.
2. analgesics, including acetaminophen and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) :. Aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and others available only by prescription
3. COX-2 inhibitors, including celecoxib (Celebrex brand name). Two drugs in this class have been recalled due to cardiovascular toxicity: rofecoxib (Vioxx brand name) and valdecoxib (Bextra brand name). These drugs are a special class of NSAIDs were developed to be safer for the stomach, but they have the same risk as other NSAIDs for kidney damage.
4. heartburn drugs of the class of proton-pump inhibitor, including omeprazole (brand name Prilosec), lansoprazole (Prevacid brand name), pantoprazole (brand name Protonix), rabeprazole (names Rabecid brand, Aciphex), esomeprazole (Nexium brand names, Esotrex). See Ref. 4.
5. antiviral drugs including acyclovir (Zovirax brand name) used to treat herpes infection, and indinavir and tenofovir, both used to treat HIV.
6. High blood pressure medications, including captopril (Capoten brand name).
7. rheumatoid arthritis drugs, including infliximab (Remicade brand name); chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, used to treat malaria and systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.
8. Lithium, used to treat bipolar disorder.
9. anticonvulsants, such as phenytoin (Dilantin brand name) and trimethadione (brand name Tridione), which is used to treat seizures and other conditions.
10. Chemotherapy drugs, including interferons, pamidronate, cisplatin, carboplatin, cyclosporine, tacrolimus, quinine, mitomycin C, bevacizumab; and antithyroid drugs, including propylthiouracil, which is used to treat overactive thyroid.
really we hope you find this article useful and do not forget to share with your friends and family. Thank you.