In our family, we have a tradition of holding a gift to open on January 6, which marks the feast of the Epiphany and the end of the Christmas season for us. I wanted to find a fun way to teach our children about this traditional festival that the arrival of the three kings bearing gold, frankincense and myrrh is held, and I thought what better way than a product made at home combining the three.
of gold, frankincense and myrrh
I had done gold, frankincense and myrrh Lotion Bars but wanted a gentle lotion that would be easy to do and that my children could help.
Gold was fairly simple, but the other two are not so well known. Some speculate that incense meant a teaching role and sacrifice, while myrrh predicted death and embalming. Both had practical benefits for mother and child, though. Incense is often used to help balance hormones and for healing. Myrrh is used often in the umbilical cord to prevent infection and speed healing and both are considered to be soothing and relaxing.
The frankincense and myrrh are both extracted from the bark of certain trees and medicinal herbs are considered.
also wanted to make this an opportunity to teach my children about oil and water emulsion (homeschool science project) so use an ingredient not often use but AIDS emulsification. It is called emulsifying wax t. There is some debate about how natural it is, although it is of plant origin. emulsifying wax passes through further processing of a truly natural wax as beeswax, but it works much more easily to the emulsion.
Indeed, we first tried to get the oil and water to emulsify themselves in the blender and separate fully observed after a few minutes. Once you’ve added the emulsifying wax, they were mixed and felt like lotion
NOTE :. Unlike my homemade lotion luxurious This lotion contains water and will have a shorter life than oil-based lotions strictly. We made a small lot so we could use it all up in two weeks and we have in the fridge. Some sources recommend the use of An antimicrobial preservative that extends largely life and avoids the need for refrigeration. Almost all conventional lotions contain a preservative like this, but I’ve seen conflicting research on such products, especially in light of emerging evidence of a microbiome of the skin so they prefer not to use it .
for this recipe, we used (click the links to see the brand we use):
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive or almond oil
- 1 tablespoon emulsifying wax
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 10 drops of each frankincense and myrrh essential oils
- 1 teaspoon mica powder gold
How do Lotion
- Ensure that all containers and ingredients are very clean. This lotion does not contain a preservative so as to extend the life, make sure everything is as clean as possible.
- emulsifying wax and melt the coconut oil in a water bath until it evaporates.
- Remove from heat and add olive oil or almond and gown.
- add water slowly, whisking to mix until all added.
- return double boiler to heat and slowly, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes creamy and slightly thickened. It is the consistency of a lotion squeeze in a store.
- Add essential oils and gown.
- Let cool and transfer to shake or bottle store. Keep in the refrigerator to extend shelf life. It lasts up to 3 weeks (this is why we made a small batch).
never has made a DIY project with your children? How did it turn out?Additional Tags for this post:
about betamosol oil |