The in vitro fertilization or IVF is a great way to have a child for couples who otherwise can not conceive. IVF involves a significant level of physical, emotional, financial commitment, and time. It is often a stressful process.
IVF treatment involves frequent blood tests and injections almost daily nasal sprays or hormonal drugs. The first stage of treatment is to eliminate natural menstrual cycle, so the artificial ovulation can be done at a later stage. Initial treatment is placed in an artificial and temporary state menopause. Because of this, women experience some side effects may go through the process
- Injection site side effects -. Some IVF drugs are administered by injection and may cause side effects such as bruising at the site, injection site reactions become pain and possibly allergic, which may include itching and redness.
- Problems ovary – In some cases, fertility drugs can cause ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). This leads to the formation of fluid in the abdomen and chest. Symptoms include pelvic pain, vomiting, nausea, rapid weight gain, decreased urination, abdominal pain and respiratory problems. In severe cases, it can lead to rupture or twisting of ovaries after being enlarged. The SHO can cause swollen veins, blood clots and even stroke.
- multiple births – Having multiple birth (twins, triplets or more) is one of the biggest health risks associated with treatment fertility. Multiple births pose many risks to the health of the mother and unborn babies. Babies are more likely to be born prematurely and have lower than normal birth weight. Likely to develop cerebral palsy are higher in multiple births birth only.
- ectopic pregnancy – When an embryo develops in the fallopian tube instead of the uterus of a woman, is called ectopic pregnancy. The chances of ectopic pregnancy are very high in IVF. Ectopic pregnancy can cause vaginal bleeding, lower pregnancy hormone levels, nausea and vomiting, fainting, dizziness and miscarriage.
- Miscarriage – Although the risk of a miscarriage after IVF is not high, women GOIG through IVF have a certain level of risk of the same.
- Side effects during recovery – Recovery of eggs from the ovaries can cause side effects such as reactions to anesthesia, bleeding, infection and damage to structures surrounding the ovaries, including the bowel and bladder.
The above side effects can be overcome by proper care and medication. In general, most babies conceived through IVF are healthy, but the procedure itself is very expensive. Although carried out with both medical care, there is no guarantee of achieving a successful pregnancy is made each time.