Origins of Nutmeg :. Botanically known as Myristica fragrans, the nutmeg tree originated in Indonesia. The English word nutmeg comes from Latin nux, ie, nut and muscat, which means musky.The first references to nutmeg tree traces its origins to the Banda Islands (Spice Islands) in the Moluccas , the rainforest of Indonesia. nutmeg trade was controlled mostly by Portuguese and Dutch traders to …
Origins of nutmeg:
botanically known as Myristica fragrans, tree nutmeg originated in Indonesia. The English word comes from the Latin nutmeg Nux Muscat ie, walnut, and, which means musk.
The first references to nutmeg tree trace its origins to the Banda Islands (Spice Islands) in Maluku, Indonesia rainforest. nutmeg trade was controlled mostly by Portuguese and Dutch traders until World War II. The British East India Company took nutmeg tree to Penang, Singapore, India, Sri Lanka, West Indies, and Granada, where it is the national symbol emblazoned on the red and green flag, yellow and country.
Nutmeg: Two in One Spice
nutmeg is actually a fruit with a single seed (a drupe). It intertwines with a softer substance mace, another valuable spice harvested at the same time. As the mature seed, nutmeg core is separated from the club in a kind of lace pattern
TOP 16 WONDERS OF HEALTH nutmeg :.
- brain tonic : Natural organic compound miristicina nutmeg, inhibits a brain enzyme that contributes to Alzheimer neurodegenerative disease. anti-inflammatory and protective effects of nutmeg can effectively promote the growth of brain tissue, stimulate brain cells, improve memory and concentration, and eliminate fatigue, stress, anxiety and depression.
- Sedatives: nutmeg essential oil is used to treat inflammation, abdominal pain, joint pain, muscle pain, arthritis, ulcers, and other ailments. nutmeg oil, when mixed with almond oil, is used to relieve rheumatic pain
- sleep inducer :. nutmeg sleep aids by soothing and relaxing the nervous system. Drinking a glass of warm milk with a pinch of nutmeg, the perfect cocktail sleep inducer
- against Anxiety and antidepressant :. nutmeg constituent compounds, miristicina and elemicin offer mild sedative, anti-anxiety and pain relieving benefits, under the activation of serotonin and dopamine
- Aphrodisiac :. cook sex therapists have always recommended with nutmeg to increase sexual desire. Nutmeg has a long ancient history to be an integral part of medicinal herbs to cure impotence and increase libido
- liver and kidney Detox :. nutmeg cleanses the liver and kidneys of toxins, strengthening its functions, dissolves kidney stones, accelerates blood circulation and treat infections of the kidney and liver disease
- Care of the skin:. Honey or milk, work with anti-inflammatory effects of nutmeg, to reduce marks / scars, relieve acne and reduce redness and swelling of spots
- Immunity Booster :. Nutmeg contains many plant-derived chemical compounds that are known to have anti-oxidant effects, disease prevention and health promotion properties
- Dental Relief :. nutmeg oil contains eugenol, when combined with cinnamon makes an antiseptic, antimicrobial paste powerful protection against bacteria causing tooth decay. nutmeg oil can be applied directly to the gums around a toothache and can also treat halitosis or bad breath
- Indigestion Relief :. freshly prepared decoction of essential oil of nutmeg and honey alleviates the problems related to digestion, such as diarrhea, constipation, bloating, flatulence- removing excess gas from the intestines, helps digestion and increases appetite
- cancer prevention :. Nutmeg essential oil acts as Antioxidant and inhibits the oxidation of essential fatty acid, linoleic acid, and significantly reduces new blood vessel growth that feeds tumors. Miristicina, a component of essential oil of nutmeg, inhibits the growth of colon cancer cells
- digestive health :. Nutmeg has been used as a remedy for digestive disorders such as nausea, vomiting, [ indigestion and diarrhea, managing symptoms of Crohn’s disease and in regulating their gastrointestinal tract
- Relieves eczema : a paste of nutmeg, made by grinding seeds of nutmeg with water, and smeared on red scaly patches of eczema, significantly reduce the eruptions
- respiratory Pacifier :. A poultice of powdered nutmeg, flour and water, when applied to the chest, chest cold cure. Studies have shown that nutmeg can help combat asthma symptoms
- Minerals from the shop :. Nutmeg is a super store minerals like copper, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, zinc and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Manganese and copper are used by the body as cofactors for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Iron is essential for the production of red blood cells and as a cofactor for enzymes cytochrome oxidases
- Vitamins Store :. Nutmeg is rich in vital vitamins B complex, including vitamin C, folic. acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin A and many antioxidant flavonoids like beta-carotene and cryptoxanthin, which are essential for optimal health
- nutmeg and mace are unsafe at doses higher than the amounts found in food. In pregnant women, it can cause miscarriages or birth defects.
- Do not know enough about the safety of using nutmeg and mace during lactation. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
- Overuse of nutmeg, due to its active agent miristicina, is known to cause lack of concentration, rapid heartbeat, body aches, sweating, hallucinations and delirium, so make use of this wonder spice in moderation.