I shared my homemade makeup powder recipes before, but I I been playing with a liquid base or a prescription cream months (ok, years).
So far, it has only frustrated and test all recipes become polarized body creams or butters that do not provide enough coverage or offered too. Some looked grainy, others striped, others simply false.
Natural Liquid Foundation …
After dozens attempts, I finally found a recipe for a liquid foundation that provides coverage and looks amazing on the skin, but does not seem to be more appropriate for a clown. Once I discovered how to make a good starting point for this recipe, it was easy to create natural and also corrector cream blush.
The moisturizer Base
Actually, there are two options for the base of this recipe: the simple form or fashion DIY.
- For a simpler version, use a moisturizer natural pre-made for the base and add colors and pigments as needed.
- The shape DIY takes a little more time and five ingredients, but allows for greater customization, as it is making the lotion base itself.
If you prefer the option of pre-made, I recommend using one of these two natural lotions, both are classified as safe by the Environmental Working Group (and make your skin feel amazing !):
to use the homemade version, need these ingredients for the base:
and these ingredients to add to the basis for the color and coverage:
per ounce, the foundation is much less expensive than the leading brands, and dramatically cheaper than organic brands. I was not able to specify the exact price per ounce from as little of each ingredient was used.
If you already have all or most of the ingredients on hand for other projects, the base version DIY will be less expensive. If not, use a natural lotion with similar ingredients that will be less expensive.
All ingredients have other uses and even just a few ounces of each will do months and months of makeup. (I recommend making in small quantities if the homemade version is used because it does not have a long shelf life and must be used within a few weeks).
Customizing your skin tone
If you are using an pre-made mineral makeup on your skin tone simply add to the lotion before the fact or homemade until you get the desired color and coverage.
for the homemade version, I recommend doing lotion base (details below) and skin tests to make sure you like the coverage and texture. After creating the custom base, start adding the colored powders (clays, mica, cocoa, zinc, etc.) gradually to get the color and coverage you want.
Some tips I’ve discovered along the way:
- When using zinc oxide (used in many mineral makeups and my protector Natural solar), will have to add that to the first aspect of coverage. I added about 5 times as nano zinc oxide as well as other ingredients not color
- Then add clays and sprinkle very slightly to prevent clumping. I have discovered that a small amount of French green clay and clay Fullers earth helped even out my skin tone
- Then gradually add the color (you can undo this part!). I started spraying small amounts of cocoa powder, mica powder bronze and gold mica powder and mix until I got a color that worked for my skin.
- I tested this on the inside of my arm for the color and consistency before putting on my face.
- If desired, you can add a couple of drops of a fault skin essential oil like lavender or frankincense or rose scent and added benefit.
- zinc and clays provide coverage and smoothing, mica and cocoa add color and tan. Add slowly to both the color and the desired coverage. Allow to cool and repeat the test on the inner arm or neck to confirm it is the correct color.
- For a base of thick cream, add a little more emulsifying wax and shea butter.
- If you prefer a softer / thinner coverage, add a little less or even aloe and witch hazel
Gas Natural Ingredients foundation :.
- 2 teaspoons oil or argan oil jajoba
- 1 teaspoon shea butter
- 1/2 teaspoon emulsifying wax
- 1 tablespoon aloe gel
- 1 teaspoon witch hazel
- O 3 tablespoons plain lotion pre-made (instead of the first 5 ingredients)
- 1- 4 teaspoons non-nano zinc oxide
- 1 / 4-1 / 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 // 2 to 1 teaspoon mica powder of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon clay choice (if used)
- O 2-3 teaspoons all-natural mineral powder in the color of choice
What do :.
If you do the simple version … just lotion and organic mineral powder to mix to get the color and the desired consistency
for complete DIY: ..
melt the wax shea butter, argan oil and emulsifier in a water bath until completely melted
Add the aloe and witch hazel and beat until fully incorporated and smooth
lower the heat out.
Slowly start adding colors. Start with zinc and clay until the desired coverage is achieved. However, it will be too pale at this point.
Add mica powder and cocoa powder pinch a little at a time until the desired color is reached.
dip the tip of a spoon into the mixture and let cool for a few seconds. Test the color and coverage in the front to make sure you have reached the right shade for your skin.
Pour the mixture into the desired container and let cool.
How to Store Homemade Foundation
This can be easily stored in a glass jar or container old makeup. My favorite way is to store in a squeezable tube of silicon for easy application. This helps prevent contamination as it is not reaching into the container makeup and keeps it fresh longer.
I prefer to squeeze a small amount in a makeup sponge and apply. A little goes a long way!
Best pre-made choice?
the best liquid foundation completely pre-made I’ve found is Jane Iredale but the DIY option provides similar results and is much less expensive over time.
ever made your own makeup? I use it?