macadamia nuts originated on the continent of Australia, but is now cultivated in many other places around the world, as new Zealand, South Africa, Israel, Kenya, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Gautemala, Hawaii, California, Costa Rica and Malawi.
Aborigines, native race of Australia, macadamia nuts had consumed before being discovered by European settlers who arrived in Australia. Aborigines have different names for macadamia nuts as jindilli, Bauple, gyndl and boombera.
Among Europeans, the nut was first discovered by a doctor and German-Australian botanist Ferdinand von Mueller in 1857. He named the macadamia nut after his colleague John Macadam.
The macadamia nut is a small round nut, rich in oil and macadamia tree is grown for over a hundred years ago. There are many species of it but most of them are poisonous. Only two species of macadamia nuts are edible. These are:. Tetraphylla Macadamia integrifolia and Macadamia
The tetraphylla macadamia has four leaves and a rough shell. The Macadamia integrifolia has more than four leaves and a smooth shell. Regardless of texture, macadamia shell is very hard and is very difficult to open a crack. This is why macadamia nuts are expensive.
Nuts are ivory colored and have a creamy, buttery flavor. Despite being rich in oil, macadamia nuts are also a good source of other useful nutrients. Let’s take a detailed nutrition macadamia nuts and then look.
Macadamia nutrition nuts:
- Fat: Macadamia nuts have a high amount of good fats and fats monounsaturated by 84%. Also they have polyunsaturated 3.5% and 12.5% saturated fatty acids.
- Fiber :. macadamia nuts are a great source of dietary fiber and only about 100 grams of them provide about 8.6 grams of fiber, which is 23% of the daily needs of a person
- Protein:. macadamia nuts contain all the essential amino acids, along with some non-essential, so a good source of protein
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is an antioxidant and is to macadamia nuts. Vitamin E is essential for good, healthy skin .
- Cholesterol: The good thing is that macadamia nuts contain no cholesterol. You can have these without having to worry about them affecting your cholesterol levels.
- vitamins B :. B vitamins such as riboflavin, pyridoxine, niacin and thiamine are found in macadamia nuts and essential for proper growth and maintenance of body
- Minerals :. macadamia nuts contain some very important minerals like iron, zinc, copper, phosphorus, calcium, selenium, manganese and magnesium
being packed with all these nutrients makes macadamia nuts very healthy food. We now allows some health benefits of macadamia nuts.
Macadamia health benefits nuts
As mentioned above, macadamia nuts contain about 84% of monounsaturated fats or good fats. It is because of this that are very healthy for the heart and helps in preventing heart attacks and strokes.
Muscle building :.
Being a good source of protein of these nuts help building muscle , muscle maintenance and general health
bone and tooth health:
healthy bone minerals such as calcium, phosphorus and manganese are found in macadamia nuts in abundance. These minerals are essential for maintaining good bones and teeth.
Digestion and cholesterol
macadamia nuts are high in fiber and contain no cholesterol. Foods rich in fiber add fiber which is very good for digestion, prevent constipation and maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
macadamia nuts contain vitamin E, vitamin B2 and vitamin B3. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant and therefore prevents cell damage skin. Vitamin B2, also known as riboflavin and vitamin B3, also known as niacin, also help in maintaining healthy skin.
healthy nervous system :.
The pantothenic acid or vitamin B5, found in macadamia nuts, helps maintain a healthy nervous system
A handful of macadamia nuts provide a good amount of energy for the body. 10 to 12 raw macadamia nuts have about 204 calories. Aside from the benefits mentioned above, we have also been found macadamia nuts to improve blood lipid profiles and reduce coronary risk.
A study published in the Journal of Nutrition ‘, in the year 2008, conducted by Pennsylvania State University compared two groups receiving similar diets; wherein the amounts of fats, proteins and carbohydrates are equal and where one of the diet of groups including macadamia nuts, fats, while the other group was given through other food sources.
The study lasted 5 weeks and at the end of that period, both groups had reducing levels of LDL or bad cholesterol in your blood. However, it was found that the group that was fed macadamias have a greater reduction in LDL and total cholesterol.
A similar study was conducted by the University of Hawaii. Here, three groups were studied. He asked the first group to include macadamia nuts in your diet, the second group was in the American Heart Association Step 1 diet, while the third group was in a typical American diet.
After a month, it was found that the first group had the lowest cholesterol levels of 191 mg / dl, compared with the second and third groups, who had cholesterol levels of 193 mg / dl and 201 mg / dl, respectively.
Now all these benefits of macadamia nuts that can be collected only by eating them right? So then let’s look at some ways to include them in your diet.
ways to include macadamia nuts in your life:
- macadamia nuts can be eaten by themselves, the way we eat peanuts, almonds or cashews.
- roasted macadamia nuts need to be cracked open to enjoy the core.
- roasted macadamia nuts can also be crushed and sprinkled on sweets, salads and desserts.
- macadamia nut butter can be used as a salad dressing and spread toast and sandwiches. They are very rich with white chocolate and, therefore, a delicious appetizer that can be made using them are macadamia nut cookies white chocolate. Another great snack tasting is macadamia nut brittle. It is made by mixing macadamia nuts and melted butter with the sugar. This mixture is then spread on a tray and leave to set aside until it becomes difficult so the individual pieces can be divided to eat.
- In addition to eating macadamia nuts solid for its taste and health benefits, it is also advantageous to use macadamia nut oil in food. The oil can be used as a cooking medium as olive oil. It also makes an excellent salad dressing. health benefits of macadamia oil are a lot since they have high antioxidant properties due to its content of vitamin E oil Macadamia nut is used in cosmetics as an ingredient in creams and lotions for skin care. A lot of people have started using hair oil as well!
- While macadamia nuts and oil are mostly healthy and safe for consumption and use, a certain amount of care must be taken in regard to consumption. Allergic to nuts people may experience allergic symptoms after eating macadamia nuts or foods containing macadamia nuts or oil.
Symptoms may be one or more of the following:
Diarrhea stomach pain, vomiting, nausea, chest tightness, shortness of breath, sore throat and swollen lips. If you are not allergic to nuts, then you have nothing to worry about and you can go ahead and enjoy all the health benefits of macadamia nuts. One more delicious inclusion in your healthy diet.
A great source of energy, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, which protects your body from the inside and the outside. A nut that can be consumed in many forms and recipes that are easy to consume and digest. Go ahead, get your hands on some macadamia nuts today!
Additional Tags for this post:
mouthwatering nut crossword clue |