elderberry syrup it is one of the pillars of our fall Winter natural remedies, and one of my favorites because it is the easiest to make children take happily. It combines the benefits of elderberry to combat influenza with the antibacterial properties of raw honey (and some other beneficial herbs) for a very effective remedy.
What is electuary herbal?
herbal syrups (such as elderberry) are a great way to get the benefits of grass. Electuaries are similar, but they have even less time to do and can make some of the herbs palatable taste spicier.
By definition, electuary is a grass mixed with honey (preferably raw) powder. The texture may vary more as a syrup (less in proportion to Herbal honey) or even a thick paste that can be rolled into pills or (more herbs in proportion to honey).
Although electuaries are much less known than they were, still are a remedy excellent, simple herbs that can be done at home in minutes and can be very useful during the season of colds and flu. Very often, electuary done with dried herbs and honey mixed powder.
Since both dried herbs are honey are long conservation, this creates a remedy with a long service life. In fact, honey has been used as a preservative for thousands of years, as it has a low moisture content and natural antibacterial properties that give it an almost indefinite shelf life. (The only caution with honey is not to give children under 1 year of age because it can contain spores of Clostridium botulinum, adults and older children can easily digest, but babies have not yet developed the ability to properly digest).
How do electuary Herbal:
If you are new to natural remedies, electuaries are an excellent place to start, as they are very versatile and almost impossible to spoil! You can use any herb powder and mix with a high quality honey and has a electuario in minutes
- raw honey ( I use this manuka honey for additional benefit but raw honey regularly also works very well )
- powder, dried herbs of choice – TIP: if you do not have powdered herbs, dried herbs just run through a blender, food processor or spice grinder until powdered. The finer the dust, the smoother the electuary be
- Place the herbs in a dry powder in a bol
- Add enough honey to make a paste (about the thickness of peanut butter or a little thicker).
- Store in a jar with tight-fitting lid and use as needed.
Using electuary herbal
Depending on the electuary and the amount of grass that I need to eat, I take a tablespoon a day. To electuaries for specific ailments, I take more often as needed to speed recovery
. NOTE: Herbs can be very beneficial, but also have the potential to be very powerful. As with any product containing herbs, consult a physician before use, especially if you have a medical condition or are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Types of electuaries
This is the fun part! There are endless ways to do electuary herbal and can be customized depending on the needs of your family. They can be made with a single herb or a mixture and for a specific purpose or just general health. These are some of my favorites:
- electuary manzanilla – chamomile powder with honey (add a small pinch of sea salt and this is a great electuario to promote relaxation before bedtime)
- Golden milk electuary – All the benefits of golden turmeric milk tea in a non-perishable form. Mix a tablespoon in a cup of coconut milk or hot water for tea instant turmeric water. I use equal parts of dried turmeric root and cinnamon and add dried ginger powder and cayenne pepper to taste before mixing with honey to make a paste. Large spoonfuls or tea and helps speed recovery from illness
- Pregnancy electuary -. My tea pregnancy in electuario tasty way. I mix about 1/4 cup powder raspberry leaf with 1 tablespoon each of alfalfa powder and nettle and add honey to make a paste .
- vitamin C electuary – I mix equal parts powder camu-camu, rosehips and hibiscus to make a powder rich in vitamin C. I add enough honey to make a thick paste . This can eat a spoon or form in small pills or
- Echinacea electuary -. The easiest way to take echinacea (which may have a spicy taste). I mix echinacea root powder with honey to make a thick paste and use as needed
- Sore throat electuary -. I can mix equal parts powdered mint leaves and marshmallow root with enough honey to make a thick paste and form these pills. They are great for relieving the pain of a sore throat
- ginger-mint electuary -. I would give my children to stomachaches. I mix equal parts of mint leaf and dry ginger with honey to make a thick consistency of peanut butter. I spooned when necessary.
ever made electuary (even without knowing they were doing one?) Going to try to do now?