onychomycosis, commonly known as nail fungus is a fungal infection that can cause nail changes. These changes usually begin as a white or yellow spot on the toenail, and that infection is deeper, which can lead to nail discoloration, thickening and crumbling of the edges of the nail. This condition is very common, affecting 13% of all Americans, or 35 million people in the US .. can affect both men and women and can be a very unpleasant condition.
There are many under-the-counter drugs, creams and ointments, as well as prescription for this condition drugs, but the best way to make sure the infection is gone forever it is to try some home remedies natural. They are free of toxic chemicals, 100% natural and very effective so if you suffer from nail fungus we suggest you try some of the ayurvedic treatments listed below
- the tea tree oil :. This essential oil has potent antifungal properties that can treat a variety of infections, including nail fungus. You should apply the oil topically on the affected nail, but if you have sensitive skin should dilute it with a little softer oil like almond
- Garlic :. Allicin, a biologically active compound garlic is a natural fungicide. For nail fungus you should buy some essential oil of natural garlic and apply it directly on the nail.
- Apple cider vinegar: A mixture of ACV with a little hot water can be used as a complementary treatment for nail fungus. Another effective remedy for nail infection is a homemade scrub coarsely ground rice flour and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Rub the infected nail with this mixture until the infection is removed
- Olive leaf: .. Leave Olive also has natural anti-fungal properties that make them effective against fungal infections
- oregano and olive oil mixture: This is another effective home remedy for nail fungus. Combine 2 drops of oregano with a 1 tbsp. olive oil and apply the mixture on the infected nail. Repeat for about 3 weeks and the nail will cure
- Rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide :. Soak your feet for 20 minutes in a mixture of equal parts of rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and water. Turmeric: Again, turmeric comes to the rescue. Apply a paste of turmeric and water in the infected nail, let dry and rinse with water
- Onion :. can also try rubbing the infected nail with a little peeled and sliced onion, which is very effective against the disease
- Vitamin E :. Vitamin E is essential for healthy nails and fungus free. Apply some Vitamin E oil to the affected nails once or twice a day and stimulate growth of healthy nails.
How to prevent toenail fungus?
Prevention is the best cure so be sure to take all precautionary measures to prevent infection reappear and spread to other healthy nails. You should:
- Maintaining proper hygiene :. Wash your feet regularly and keep their short and dry nails
- Disinfecting old shoes : applying disinfectants or antifungal powders on old shoes or just throw them away to prevent reinfection
- Use proper footwear: .. always choose shoes that reduce moisture
- Avoid walking barefoot in public places
- Wash hands frequently : .. especially after touching an infected nail so that the infection does not spread to other healthy