Those who suffer from this condition called ingrown toenails only know, how uncomfortable and sometimes how painful it is to live with these ingrown toenails! But what it is ingrown in the first place? ingrown toenail is medically known as onicocriptosis. That’s when the edge of one or more of your nails grow on the skin around it. Such an ingrown nail curves downward into the skin around the nail as it grows. This causes the skin to grow over the nail and therefore called ingrown toenail. While none can become ingrown nails, the toenails and especially the big toe nail, they are more susceptible to this condition.
What are the causes of ingrown toenails
The most general cause of ingrown nail is the wrong cut of the nail. However, there may be many other causes.
- ill-fitting shoes can cause ingrown toenails.
- cutting nails incorrectly, as mentioned above, is the most common cause of ingrown nails.
- Damage to the nail or the skin around it can also lead to an ingrown toenail.
- Sometimes, heredity also plays a role in giving you ingrown toenails.
- Yes, of course, is too large nails that curl naturally again, that is at a greater risk of ingrown toenails.
Whatever the cause of ingrown nail, which can become infected if left untreated.
home remedies to get rid of the nail grows inward
If you notice redness, swelling and pain around the toenail or any other fingernail, check for an ingrown toenail . These are the symptoms of ingrown toenail. Sometimes pus secretion also may indicate an infection in that area. If so, you should consult a doctor immediately. If there is still no infection, you can rely on home treatment for ingrown toenails. These include the proper nail care and use of certain home remedies to get rid of ingrown toenails, and their symptoms.
Soaking Ingrown nail in hot water
Nothing soothes inflamed skin as does the hot water. You do not need anything else, just a little hot water. Soak the finger in this hot water. Consider the following tips.
- Hot Water
Do the following:
- Take a little hot water, enough to soak your affected finger or toe in a bowl.
- soak your finger with ingrown in this water.
- let soak for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now, get your hand or foot properly and dry with a towel.
- Remember, except when his fingers soaked in warm water, they must remain dry. Keeping fingers wet or damp, it can even lead to the proliferation of bacteria or fungi and give the infection.
- soaking repeat procedure 3-4 times a day.
Once the nail and surrounding skin becomes soft after soaking, you can cut the ingrown nail, but do this only if you are able to see things clearly and easily. Do not compound the problem by pushing deep into the skin to try to shorten it off.
The use of cotton ball to lift the ingrown nail
Our nails grow on average 2-3 mm of each month. While they are growing, if you can give them the right direction, it may not grow on the skin around the nail. You can take the help of a cotton ball for this humble.
- cotton ball or a small piece of cotton
- Tweezers (optional)
Do the following:
- Take the piece of cotton and crush him under the edge of the nail where there is an ingrown toenail. You can take the help of pliers, if necessary. However, push too hard.
- This should preferably be done just after soaking your fingers in warm water (see previous remedy).
- Just after immersion, both the nail and surrounding skin are soft and flexible. Therefore, it would not give pain or create much trouble in lifting the nail, compared to when the skin is rigid due to be dry.
- This act ingrown nail is lifted away and allow you to grow against your skin and not on it.
- Continue doing this for a few days until you get satisfied that now the nail is growing.
- Do not allow the cotton there for several hours and never for more than one day (in extreme cases, although this is not acceptable). This results in possibilities of getting infected nail easily.
soaking in a solution of vinegar and water to treat toenail Ingrown
Vinegar is a very good for any type of infection home remedy. Therefore, if any of your ingrown nail is infected or infected now you can certainly use vinegar or apple cider vinegar to treat it.
- Vinegar 1 part
- Water 4 parts
Do the following:
- Add vinegar to the water.
- Soaking the feet or hands you have ingrown nail.
- Let it be in this solution for about 15-20 minutes.
- remove the hand or foot and dry properly.
- Repeat twice or three times a day.
Epsom salt and soak the nail grows inward Treatment
If you are unable to endure the pain and tenderness in the finger or toe due to ingrown toenail, Epsom salt can come to your aid. It can effectively reduce pain, tenderness and even an ingrown toenail infection.
- Epsom salt 4/2 tablespoon (2 tablespoons per liter of water)
- Water, preferably warm – 1-2 quarts (one quart is about 4 cups)
Do the following:
- Add Epsom salt water.
- Soaking hand or foot in this water for about 20-25 minutes.
- properly dry with a towel.
- Repeat 2-4 times a day.
Use lemon to prevent infection of the nail grows inward
This in lemon acid is a known ingredient that can fight infections. Therefore, if you have nothing in your hand, go to the kitchen and cut a thin slice or wedge of lemon to treat ingrown toenail.
- lemon 1 Thing wedge
Do the following:
- Take the lemon wedge and place it on the ingrown toenail.
- Now take the bandage and wrap it around the slice of lemon securing it with his toe. You can also use a band-aid to keep the slice of lemon instead.
- leave it overnight.
- Not only the nail would not dig into the skin, but also prevent any infection.
Hydrogen peroxide for ingrown nail
Hydrogen peroxide is natural and is an excellent disinfectant. It is nothing more than water (H2O) with an extra oxygen molecule (H2O2). It is a natural compound found in small amounts in rain and snow. What else, even our own immune system creates and uses hydrogen peroxide to regulate and control bacteria and viruses. Medically, it is used as topical disinfectant. However, it should be used with caution because it is toxic and lethal when ingested with full force. always use 35% hydrogen peroxide food grade after dilution in water. It is safe to use as a solution of 3%, which can be made by mixing 1 oz hydrogen peroxide 35% food grade with 11 ounces of water. 1 oz is about 6 teaspoons or two tablespoons. For ingrown nails, you can make an excellent soaking using hydrogen peroxide.
- The hydrogen peroxide 1 cup
- Water ½ cube
- Add hydrogen peroxide to water.
- Soaking hand or foot in this water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Not only make the skin around the soft ingrown toenail, but also relieve pain and infection in your case.
- dry properly after immersion.
tree oil tea to treat nail grows inward
The essential oils like tea tree do wonders for such conditions in which there is a high probability of infection. This is due to the antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of this oil that provides much relief wanted.
ways to use tea tree oil for ingrown nails
- Add 2-4 drops of tea tree oil in hot water. Now soak your hands or feet in water for 15-20 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times a day. Do not forget to dry after soaking fingers.
- Take 2-4 drops of tea tree oil and add it to 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Massage gently with your finger this oil in place of ingrown toenail. After the oil is absorbed into the skin, you will see how the skin becomes soft for comfort.
[ Read also: 15 home remedies DIY for toenail fungus ]
baby oil for nail grows inward
baby oil makes your skin soft, very soft. This is what you need when you want to get rid of ingrown toenail. Try baby oil or mineral oil simply make the skin around the ingrown toenail soft so you can clip the nail easily hurt.
- mineral oil or baby oil
- Short nails
Do the following
- Take a little oil and massage the finger into the nail polish.
- feet when the skin has become soft enough, use the razor to cut the nail.
- Do this only if you are able to see the nail clearly and easily.
- If not, keep massaging this oil and pursue other remedies for your nail polish become soft for days.
- can cut the ingrown nail, a good day when it is soft enough and is easily accessible.
Castor oil to treat ingrown toenail
Castor oil has many benefits for our body. It is good for relieving muscle tension, spasms and cramps. When applied or massage with warm castor oil, increases circulation to the area of muscle relaxation, while the toxicity and congestion dispersed. It also softens the site very well. Try this remedy with castor oil and baking soda to see if it works for you and give relief ingrown nail
- Castor oil
- sodium Bicarbonate
- bandaid or bandage
Do the following:
- Take a little bicarbonate and add enough castor oil thereto to give a gum such as pasta.
- Apply this mixture on her finger with ingrown toenail.
- covers this with band-aid.
- remove it after a few hours.
- If, however, you feel irritation, stop using it.
- If everything is OK, do this every day to get rid of ingrown toenail.
Making Essential Oil Blend for treating toenail Ingrown
The essential oils can bring relief to your finger mounted painful ingrown toenail. There are many essential oils that not only have analgesic properties, but are also antiseptic and disinfectant. The mixture of these oils or applying unmixed may bring some relief to the symptoms of ingrown toenails that give you trouble. Here are some essential oils and their properties that may be useful in treating ingrown in the country.
- Melaleuca oil has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties properties.
- Clove oil have pain relief, disinfection, numbing properties and is widely used to treat infections of the skin.
- lavender oil has soothing properties that relieve skin irritation.
- Rosemary oil properties has antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant.
- Tea tree oil have antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- One or some or all oils listed above 1 drop every
Do the following:
- If a single oil is used, it takes 1 drop and apply this to your ingrown toenail. It can also be diluted with a little olive oil and then apply this to the ingrown nail.
- If you use more than one oil, mix 1 drop of each oil and apply it to your ingrown toenail.
- You can wrap a bandage after applying the oil mixture.
- Repeat 2-4 times a day as needed.
- within 2-4 days, you should get relief from pain, swelling and redness around the ingrown toenail.
- If within the time, you do not get any relief, consult your doctor.
potassium permanganate and drench Toenail Ingrown
Potassium permanganate is a natural disinfectant. Actually, it is a salt compound (KMn04) used to oxidize water and disinfect food. It acts as an antiseptic when used for ingrown toenails. In fact, dilute solutions of potassium permanganate is used to treat sores, ulcers and fungal infections of the hand and feet as Athletes Feet .
- Potassium Permanganate- ¼ teaspoon or less (exactly you need only about 1.5 grams)
- Water 1 gallon ( about 4 liters or 16 cups)
Do the following:
- Add potassium permanganate water.
- Soaking the feet or hands in water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Then dry thoroughly with a towel.
- Repeat twice daily for 2-3 weeks.
- This is any fungal infection in the skin .
Warning: Note that the color of the feet or hands can turn brown for several weeks. However, over time the color will go.
Handling Precautions ingrown nails
- If you have an ingrown toenail and also have diabetes, it is best not to follow any home treatment for ingrown toenails that the foot needs care and treatment. Going to the doctor for proper treatment of your nail.
- The same is true for people suffering from other diseases of the feet or poor circulation in the feet. Go to the doctor rather than treat an ingrown in the country.
- After using home treatment of ingrown toenail, if you do not see any positive sign of improvement, go to the doctor, even if you can not see any visible signs of infection. Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate between the symptoms of ingrown nail and infection because both have striking similarities, such as redness and swelling.
Cutting and cutting ingrown nail properly to avoid
- Always keep your nails trimmed straight. Do not try to keep them curved.
- Always keep your nails clean. Lack of hygiene is one of the causes of ingrown toenails.
- While cutting the toenails straight across, not too short.
- If you see sharp edges, presenting lightly and carefully. Not this hard or much deeper into your nail.
- Do not try to round nails. Nails that are rounded are more likely to grow in the skin that leads to ingrown toenails.
- Never scam or start the tips of the nails. This could lead to the edge of the nail to grow into the skin.
- is best to use a nail clipper instead of scissors to cut the nails.
How to care for hands and feet to prevent ingrown toenails
- To prevent ingrown toenails, wear shoes that fit better. too tight shoes give ingrown toenail.
- Try to reduce pressure on the toe with wearing sandals or open shoes for your toe and finger get enough room to move.
- Do not cut the corner of the nail unless you can easily see them.
Always be careful and maintain hygiene as mentioned earlier in the article so that not develop ingrown toenail.
Tips to get rid of ingrown toenails
ingrown nails are what bothers many people. While ingrown toenails are painful and all, it is really pathetic to have an ingrown toenail. After all, you have to wear your shoes all day and ingrown really can hurt very badly in this compact space inside your shoes! This is also the place where your ingrown toenail can easily become infected. If your nail has already caught the infection, you need to see a podiatrist and is not necessary for treatment at home. This can be risky. However, if it is not already infected, you can follow these tips to get rid of his painful and irritating ingrown toenail.
1. Soak your feet in warm water with salt
Yes, this is the first and basic thing you should do. Take some hot water in a foot container and add a teaspoon of salt. Soak your feet in this for about 15-20 minutes. Do this at least 3-4 times a day. You will find it very relaxing well as get rid of pain and swelling of the feet. Do not forget to completely dry the foot every time. Wet feet are a breeding ground for bacteria and fungi.
2. Make water more effectively soak by adding natural healers
While the salt water hot soak is enough to give you relief, you can always make it more effective by adding certain natural ingredients such as vinegar, Epsom salt, lemon juice or some essential oils like tea tree or lavender oil. The various antiseptic, antibacterial and disinfectant properties of these natural ingredients not only prevent infection but also help in curing your ingrown faster.
3. Lift the nail to give direction
Your nail hurts because it is growing in the wrong direction, in the skin. It must grow against the skin. It can help a little. How is the issue. When you have finished soaking up the surrounding skin and when the nail is still soft, skin lift this slightly, either by hand or with a blunt device such as a nail file. Be careful not to get hurt. Never try when your skin is rough and dry. Do so only after dipping his foot. This can ‘inspire’ the nail to grow on the skin! And it will be better if the nail is maintained at this elevated position for some time. The next step tells you about how to do this.
4. Put a piece of cotton or cloth to separate the skin and ingrown toenails
Once the nail has raised against her skin, pushing a piece of cotton between the skin and nail foot raised. This will prevent the nail against the skin and avoid coming into contact with it. However, do not forget to treat this piece of cotton with some antiseptic lotion. You can use oil all natural tea tree for the purpose.
5. Cover the ingrown with bandage
Now, when you have filled the piece of cotton, has the risk of slipping out of the toenail. To ensure this, use a bandage or a plaster. Wrap around your toe in a way that holds the piece between the skin and toenail.
6. Wear comfortable shoes for healthy nail
Yes, you should always wear comfortable shoes and not only when suffering from an ingrown toenail. In fact, too tight shoes are one of the main causes of ingrown toenail. The nail is not enough room inside the shoe to grow properly in the right direction. It is also essential to wear comfortable shoes such as you have filled your toe with piece of cotton and a bandage. If possible, use an open sandal or at least one loose shoe. Try to avoid shoes or socks wearing when you’re at home.
7. Remove the cotton swab frequently from the site of the ingrown nail
is risky to keep the wet cotton long in the middle of your nail and skin. It can lead to infection. So, remove frequently. If possible change once every 2-3 hours. If not, then change it at least 2-3 times a day.
8. Cut your toenail correctly
Always cut your toenail correctly. So, what is the correct form of a toe nail that will not give ingrown toenail! It is straight. Yes, you should always cut the perfect nail without having sharp parts near the edges. If you finish your toenail, you are increasing the chances of causing an ingrown toenail.
9. Use nail scissors special feet to cut their toenails
As mentioned above, the nails with rounded or sharp edges are more likely to become a nail incarnate, it is possible to take extra care by using slicers toenails that are specially manufactured for this purpose. This becomes even more essential if you tend to get ingrown frequently. ordinary clippers or scissors are small and sometimes is unable to cut the toenails properly. They can leave sharp edges there.
10. Regularly cut toenails to prevent ingrown toenails
cut your toenail regularly, once every 2-3 weeks. The toenails grow slowly than fingernails that need to be cut almost every week. However, some people tend to grow faster toenails. If you are one of them, clip toenails as needed. The key is not to let the toenails grow to such lengths to incarnate. Cut nails often will not give them the opportunity to become ingrown.
11. Avoid beauty treatments like pedicure when you have an ingrown toenail
Because the tools in a room or salon are used for everyone, they are at greater risk infection give your toes. His feet is already sensitive because ingrown nails and pedicure can aggravate the problem under the nail. The instruments may be less health and can lead to a bacterial or fungal infection.