Are you struggling hard to cope with the swelling of the ankles? Knowing this, you are not alone! Almost everyone suffered from swollen ankles at some point of time for different reasons. Foot known as edema, this condition is characterized by the accumulation of fluids in the ankle and foot. swollen ankle is not a disorder or disease. It is a warning sign or a symptom of an underlying health condition.
Common causes of swollen ankles
swollen ankles are common during pregnancy and menstruation. Sometimes the swelling goes away by itself without any medical treatment. However, a great deal of discomfort is created and affects mobility to some extent. In most cases, swelling of the ankles can be reduced with simple home remedies. Before researching home remedies for swollen ankles, looking at the possible causes of swollen ankles.
Some of the main causes of swollen ankles include the following (but they are not limited only):
- High blood pressure – leads to water and fluid retention
- pregnancy and menstruation
- inactivity for a long time or sedentary lifestyle
- clot blood in the leg
- long haul flight
- Aging (muscle wasting and poor blood circulation to the feet)
- Too much physical activity (suddenly start exercising or walking)
- generalized edema – like when you suffer retaining typical fluid
- Any injury in the feet or legs
- side effects of certain medications
- hypothyroidism, etc.
Alarmingly, swollen ankle is a sign of kidney malfunction also when the body is unable to expel fluids. Also, heart and liver functioning evil leads to swelling of the ankles.
How to get rid of swollen ankles
There are many effective home remedies you can try to reduce swelling in the ankles. These home remedies for swollen ankles also reduces pain and improves mobility.
quick remedies to reduce swelling of the ankles
The following are some simple home remedies that can provide relief from inflammation and pain. Some of you may also find a full recovery from swelling feet with these remedies.
When it comes to the swelling, the first home remedy that is very useful is ice bath or a massage with ice cubes. Ice therapy constricts blood vessels and reduces swelling of the ankles.
- Just wrap some ice cubes in a cloth and apply on the swollen part.
- Do it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Moreover, given an ice bath in the foot.
- Add a few ice cubes in a bathtub and soak your feet in cold water. Do not do it for more than two minutes at a time.
elevate your legs
Keep your legs elevated when you notice swollen ankles. Place your legs at a higher level, like a pillow foot while you lie down. Make sure they are perpendicular or above heart level. Raising the legs reduces blood flow to the legs and prevents inflammation. Do this for 20 to 30 minutes, three times a day. You can find a lot of relief because of this. Similarly, when you sit for a longer time, place your feet on a raised platform, such as a stool or chair.
- Place 1 or more pillows under your feet when you sleep or lie down to relax
- Keep your feet up while sitting and place them on a stool or chair
Raise your legs prevents fluid retention in the ankles and feet.
[Nosepierda: best home remedies for swollen feet ]
reduced mobility, relax on their ankles
to prevent further damage to the ankles and feet, reducing their mobility. As mentioned above, sometimes heavy lifting or excessive exercise can also lead to swelling of the ankles. When you get sufficient rest, the swelling can heal itself and find relief from the discomfort and pain.
to move the foot
This may seem contradictory to the above remedy, indicating that the legs can not move. In fact, this has to do when her swollen ankles are the result of prolonged sitting as when traveling for a long time on a bus or on a flight.
Sitting for several hours makes inactive and liquid accumulates feet there. It affects the blood flow and cause swelling and pain.
If I sit for long hours before the computer or becomes an addict television, feet have to be moved to get rid of all the liquid that accumulates there and also to correct the flow of blood that gets hampered due to lack of movement.
- a short walk of 10 minutes for every 1 to 2 hours of the session
- Walk for 15 minutes three to four times a day. It’s enough to keep your ankles and feet happy and healthy.
Soaking the feet
Swollen ankles may be the result of a long drive or a long haul flight. Those who usually go for a trip or a vacation, go home with lots of memories and swollen ankles. However, in most cases, it is not necessary to get rid of any specific swollen ankles when caused by a long journey remedy. Ankle swelling relieve itself in a couple of days. You can still take a hot foot bath to relieve discomfort away.
By submerging your feet in a tub of hot water is an effective way to relax after a long day and to get rid of puffy ankles and feet swollen.
- fill a tub with warm water
- soak your feet in this
- To be more effective, add 1-2 teaspoons of salt to it
Use compression stockings
This remedy is to prevent swollen ankles. Wear compression stockings during the long journey to avoid the accumulation of blood in the legs. If you are one of those who often suffer from swollen ankles or feet after a trip, just use compression stockings.
Do nothing and exaggeration of the damage of the feet and ankles!
Massaging the feet and ankles
to make it even better, I ask someone to massage the feet. Massage is a very relaxing therapy. It reduces pain, inflammation and improves blood circulation. Massaging your feet gently with light pressure. Do not add pressure on sensitive areas. Always massage the direction of the heart (bottom up).
- Press the joints of the toes to stimulate the muscles and nerves.
- massage the bottom of the foot.
- leg massage of the feet to the knees.
[ Read also: Caring for sprained ankle with natural remedies ]
If your leg is dry, you can apply a little oil before massaging. Regardless of the cause of the swollen ankle, massage reduces pain and inflammation to some extent. However, if your ankle is swollen due to injury, avoid massage and have it checked by a doctor to rule out bone dislocation, fracture or damage to muscles and tendons.
drink a lot of water
Almost everyone is guilty of not drinking enough water. The muscles and tissues need water for optimal performance. Dehydration or lack of water content in the body leads to water retention. This retention can be in place of the feet and ankles too. Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day keeps the body hydrated.
By doing strenuous work or exercise longer and in the hot and humid climate, increase water intake.
enjoy the happiness of Epsom salt bath
Epsom salt is one of the miraculous ingredients that reduce pain, fatigue, muscle weakness, etc. Just add a handful of Epsom salt to hot or warm water (as you prefer) and soak your feet. You can enjoy the hot tub and enjoy Epsom salt drenching himself in the bathtub. It reduces pain by producing toxins and reduces inflammation by removing fluid retention. It also improves blood circulation. As a bonus, it softens and rejuvenates sore muscles. You will feel nourished, relaxed and refreshed after taking a bath of Epsom salt. Rest assured that your ankles and feet swollen tired appreciate the Epsom salt bath.
- add a handful of Epsom salt in a bathtub filled with warm water.
- soak your feet in the water for 15-20 minutes.
You can add a few drops of fresh lemon or any choice of essential to make it a more refreshing experience oil.
poultices and coats swollen ankles
Each house has some wonderful natural ingredients to reduce swelling of the ankles. These ingredients are regularly used for cooking. Save a few bits and pieces for his swollen ankle and create poultice or wrap to get rid of the tenderness of the ankle.
cucumber is popularly used to reduce swelling of the face and bags under the eyes. You can test the plant to reduce minor swelling or inflammation caused due to mild ankle sprains. Cucumber not only reduces inflammation but also reduces recovery time.
- Slice a cucumber and place it on the inflamed area.
- wrap the feet with a thin cloth and secure it with a clip to seal the envelope.
cabbage leaves Wrap
Cabbage is one of the lesser known ingredients that have anti-inflammatory properties. Cabbage is a vegetable rich in nutrients, which can reduce pain and inflammation in no time.
- cabbage leaves are washed and placed in the freezer for a few minutes. (Cold cabbage leaves are more effective)
- Place the permission of cabbage on the swollen part and wrapped with a thin seal it with tape or cloth.
- Keep the leg elevated and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Do this two or three times a day.
Other home remedies for swollen ankles
Castor oil ankle swollen
Oil castor has been used for centuries to cure sprains in the legs and hands. It is the most promising for ankle sprains and swelling remedy. If your swollen ankle is caused due to a sprain, look no further. Castor oil is a fatty acid having triglyceride. It contains high concentration of ricinoleic acid, which is a potent analgesic and anti-inflammatory element. You can simply apply castor oil for swollen ankle or create a poultice, as mentioned below.
Things you need:
- 5 tablespoons of castor oil
- Pan to heat the oil
- A bowl
- a piece of cloth clean
- a clip or tape
- a bottle filled with hot water
how to make it:
- heat about 5 tablespoons of castor oil in a skillet.
- transfer the hot oil in a clean container.
- dip a clean piece of cloth in the oil.
- Place the fabric in the swollen ankle. (The fabric should be long enough to encircle the leg to cling)
- impregnated cloth cover with a piece of thin cloth.
- Use a paper clip or tape to seal the fabric to stay.
- Place a hot water bottle near the ankle.
- The heat of the water is absorbed by the fabric and the oil penetrates the skin.
- sprain is healing, reduce pain and swelling of the ankle.
Coconut oil wrap the swollen ankle
Like castor oil, coconut oil also contains fatty acids of medium chain and has amazing healing properties. Therefore, if you do not have to hand castor oil, just use coconut oil and follow the steps above to manufacture poultice of castor oil. Instead of heating the coconut oil, just let it warm.
Coconut oil is light and castor oil is very dense. Coconut oil is easily absorbed into the skin. Therefore, coconut oil is not hot and right it warm.
Onions swollen ankle
poultice of onions or wrap is not a popular remedy, but very effective in reducing inflammation in the ankle sprain and tenderness. Onions are known for their ability to remove toxins from the body. Onions also contain anti-inflammatory properties. onion wrap helps reduce swelling and extracted accumulated in the ankle area toxins.
Things you need:
- A large onion- destroyed or made into a paste
- salt or sea salt crystal – 2 – 3 teaspoons
- a piece of thin cloth
how to make it:
- Mix the paste of onion and sea salt.
- spread the mixture on the fabric and fold.
- wrapping fabric around the ankle and covered with a towel.
- Make sure the onion poultice remains intact.
- let stand for a couple of hours and then remove it.
- leg wash with warm water.
You’ll notice the reduction of inflammation and find relief from the discomfort.
Home remedies for swollen ankles in pregnant women
One of the main complaints of pregnant women is swollen ankles and feet swollen . Because circulatory problems and hormonal changes, this problem is sometimes inevitable. However, it can be easily controlled. The following are some of the tips and home remedies to manage swollen ankles during pregnancy.
This is the primary home remedy followed for centuries to reduce inflammation in the ankle and foot. Barley is a natural diuretic and extracts the liquid accumulated in the body.
- Add 3 to 4 teaspoons of barley two glasses of water.
- Boil for 10 to 20 minutes (keep closed with a lid)
- water is filtered and drink warm.
- Within a few hours, you can find great relief from pain and swelling.
This is a sure remedy for swollen ankles in pregnant women. However, check with your doctor before trying any home remedy during pregnancy. Others may also have barley water to get rid of the swelling in the ankles.
Other tips for Swollen ankles during pregnancy
- Avoid eating foods high in salt. Too much salt leads to fluid accumulation
- Eat a lot of fresh food to get all the essential nutrients. Magnesium deficiency also causes swollen ankle. Having coconut water, bananas and other fruits.
- drink a lot of water to keep the body hydrated.
- set foot soak by placing the legs in warm water for 15 minutes a day.
- take a bath in warm water and if possible take a bath of Epsom salt, once a week.
- can test your topics, such as ice massage or wrap cabbage remedies to reduce discomfort.
Home remedies for ankles swollen in the elderly
The aging weakens the muscles and ligaments, leading to poor circulation and swelling of the ankles and legs. By incorporating some changes in diet and lifestyle, swelling and pain can be greatly reduced.
- Reduce consumption of coffee and other caffeinated beverages
- Go for a low-sodium diet. This means reducing the intake of salt and salty foods.
- Eat two or three pods of raw garlic (or dry roasted garlic) every day on an empty stomach to reduce paw edema.
- Walking for 20 to 30 minutes daily. Walking is the best remedy for swollen ankle. It improves blood circulation and reduces swelling.
- say no to smoking and reduce alcohol consumption.
- Wrap the legs with a cloth or wear a brace to wear at night. This prevents the swelling from getting worse.
- Check with your doctor and if necessary to obtain magnesium supplements.
swollen ankle can be cured easily in many cases. However, understanding the real cause of the condition helps in chalking out the proper treatment. Since swollen ankle is a symptom of some diseases that threaten life, it is recommended to consult a doctor if swelling of the ankles persists or recurs often. In addition, it is advised not to consume diuretics if you have a history of kidney problems.