Health Benefits of Spinach (Palak)
About Spinach / Palak
or Palak Spinach is very famous and known plants with edible flowers worldwide for its incredible benefits. It is a leafy vegetable belongs to the Amaranthaceae family and was found locally in the region of Central Asia and the Southwest. It is a biennial plant and grows in both summer and winter seasons.
Spinach originated in ancient Persia, which took India by Arab traders. During 14 ap century first appeared in England and France. It has a great history as (spinach juice prepared wine) was used in World War to meet the need of the French soldiers for recovery bleeding.
ADVANTAGES OF SPINACH / PALAK
or Palak Spinach is very famous leafy vegetable found everywhere in sufficient quantity, both summer and winter. One can easily feel that it is all beneficial aspects using in their daily routine, either in the form of juice, soup, vegetable or variety of cooked curry. I’m pointing out here all the advantages and disadvantages of spinach:
prevents cancer cell division
- The phytonutrients (flavonoids as methylenedioxyflavonol glucuronide and carotenoids as neoxanthin and violaxanthin) found in spinach acts as a great anti-inflammatory and anticancer agent. Eating spinach regularly prevents cell division in stomach cancer cells, skin cancer cells and breast cancer cells.
reduces the risk of prostate cancer
- Spinach also decreases the risk of cancer destructive prostate (means 3 rd or 4 ap cancer stage).
reduces the risk of many health disorders
- phytonutrients found in spinach also have antioxidant properties. Other antioxidant nutrients found in spinach include vitamin C, vitamin E, manganese, beta-carotene, zinc, selenium and etc involved in reducing the risk of various health problems associated with oxidative stress such as atherosclerosis, hypertension and etc.
reduces the risk of eye disorders related to age
- Carotenoids such as lutein and zeaxanthin are found in abundance in the spinach, which also acts as antioxidant and beneficial to major organs such as the eye (retina and macula). Reduces the risk of age-related cataracts, macular degeneration and other eye problems.
promotes proper growth and development of bones
- Eating spinach is very beneficial to the healthy growth and development of bones in the body due to its content of vitamin K which consists of preventing excessive activation of osteoclasts (bone cells break).
Stimulates Bone Protein
- On the other hand, gut bacteria exchange the content of vitamin K1 in vitamin K2, which accommodates stimulate osteocalcin (bone protein important) and calcium molecules attached to the bone.
good source of bone supporting nutrients
- Spinach is also the richest sources of nutrients for bone support, such as calcium and magnesium, which are very useful in bone development.
contains few calories and high nutrients
- Spinach is very famous, low in calories, high in vitamins, phytonutrients, minerals and nutrients loaded with healthy foods. It is a natural source of vitamin A, vitamin K, dietary fiber, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, folic acid, iron, protein, vitamin C, vitamin B2, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, selenium, niacin, zinc, copper, vitamin B6 and etc.
Protects from premature aging
- Its antioxidant nutrients protect the body from free radicals and premature aging.
Heart Healthy Foods
- Spinach is considered as healthy food for the heart, which is very true because of its content vitamin C and vitamin a, which reduces the cholesterol level.
Maintains blood pressure
- Its content in folic acid helps a lot to the health of the cardiovascular system while aid magnesium reducing high blood pressure.
Maintains gastrointestinal health
- Spinach keeps gastrointestinal health because of its content of beta-carotene and vitamin C, which protects cells the colon of the bad effects of free radicals (DNA damage and mutations).
- Its anti-inflammatory property provides relief from various inflammations such as osteoporosis, arthritis, migraine, headache and asthma.
Keeps the Brain Operation
- Eating spinach regularly maintains normal brain function and slow the decline associated with age in the function cerebral.
meets Iron Requirement
- The most essential mineral known as iron is enough in spinach, which is very beneficial for children in growth, adolescents and menstruating women as iron is an essential component of hemoglobin that functions as a carrier of oxygen to body cells.
maintains the level of blood sugar
- Spinach is a good source of lipoic acid that helps in the regeneration of antioxidants as vitamins C and E and level control blood sugar well.
promotes heart health
- Spinach contains potassium in abundance that promotes heart health.
strengthens the body’s immune system
- Spinach is a large injection of immunity as it has vitamin A, which protects and strengthens the body against various infections by improving the functioning of lymphocytes (white blood cells).
- spinach provides relief from constipation and guards thus the mucous lining of the stomach preventing ulcers.
Nourish Brain and Nervous System
- Having spinach regularly in the diet keeps the brain and nervous system function.
preventing Alzheimer’s disease
- Spinach also plays a big role in preventing Alzheimer’s disease by reducing neuronal damage in the brain.
prevents osteoporosis and anemia
- Spinach is naturally a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids that help in prevention of osteoporosis and iron deficiency anemia.
promote muscle growth and relieves muscle cramps
- Availability of electrolytes potassium in spinach promotes muscle building and muscle contractions and prevents muscle cramps.
increases the production of collagen
- Your vitamin availability C provides structural strength to the body because it improves the production of collagen (protein required by connective tissue).
help in acid reflux disease
- Spinach alkalized body because of its mineral content thus useful in acid reflux.
Benefits of Spinach skin
moisturizes the skin and prevents skin problems
- vitamin a and high C content of the spinach makes the skin soft and supple by moisturizing the skin, protecting psoriasis, the reduction of keratinization process, eliminating acne and wrinkles.
Relieves dry and itchy skin
- rapid relief of dry, itchy skin is provided as well as provides radiant complexion .
Benefits of Spinach hair
maintains healthy hair
- Eating spinach It helps regulate in maintaining healthy hair and also stimulates hair growth.
Rich source of minerals and vitamins
- Spinach has variety of nutrients such as vitamins and minerals that are essential for hair growth component. Vitamins A and C helps in the production of sebum, while vitamin E increases scalp circulation.
prevents hair loss
- Some of the essential minerals such as iron and manganese found in spinach are the vital elements for the growth of healthy hair. Iron prevents hair loss, while manganese maintains healthy hair.
Benefits spinach for weight loss
contains fewer calories and dietary fibers High Level
- as spinach contains very low calories, fat and high level of soluble dietary fibers therefore helps wonderfully in weight loss.
Benefits of spinach in pregnancy
rich source of B vitamins
- green spinach leaves are the magic of pregnant women. Its high content of vitamin B complex, as pyridoxine, folate, riboflavin, iron, thiamin, niacin and etc plays a big role in the prevention of neural tube defects in the fetus.
improves the body’s resistance
- Its high level of vitamin C provides the power of resistance against various infections in pregnant women.
Reduces the risk of anemia
- reduces the chances of anemia in pregnant women.
Advantages of spinach juice
Improves cleansing blood and blood building
- Spinach is the most famous green leafy vegetables worldwide for its cleansing properties of blood and blood building. Since it has high chlorophyll and iron and juice is more useful in the treatment of anemia.
prevents cell damage and DNA damage
- spinach juice contains high amounts of manganese that protects against cell damage and DNA damage .
assists in bone growth
- also helps in the growth of cartilage and bone to break down carbohydrates and proteins in the body.
- spinach juice contains all the nutrients required by the body for healthy growth and development.
Benefits of spinach salad
- Spinach can also be eaten as a salad for more nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Spinach leaves can be added in the salad with other vegetables or fruits. It is good to add some spinach leaves on salad on a daily basis to get the elements necessary for normal functioning of the body.
Benefits of spinach soup
- spinach soup is a diet low in calories and fat made by adding a little water and other vegetables. Spinach soup is better to have between meals when hunger logging instead of eating some snacks that can lead to weight gain and other problems. Spinach soup helps a lot in managing and lose weight. It contains high levels of iron and all minerals and vital nutrients needed by the body to regulate cell growth.
Nutritional benefits of spinach / Palak 100 g
(Source: Database USDA Nutrient)
Energy: 23 kcal
Carbohydrates: 3.63 g
Sugars: 0.4 g
Protein: 2.86 g
Fat: 0.39 g
dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
Water: 91.4 g
Thiamine: 0.078 mg
riboflavin: 0.189 mg
Niacin 0.724 mg
pantothenic acid: 0.065 mg
pyridoxine: 0.195 mg
folate: 194 g
Vitamin A 9377 IU
Vitamin C: 28.1 mg
Vitamin E: 2.03 mg
Vitamin K: 482.9 g
Sodium: 79 mg
Potassium: 558 mg
calcium: 99 mg
Copper: 0.130 mg
Iron: 2.71 mg
Magnesium: 79 mg
Phosphorus: 49 mg
Manganese 0.897 mg
Zinc: 0.53 mg
beta-carotene: 5626 g
Lutein and zeaxanthin: 12198 g
selecting and storing spinach
always buy spinach that was vibrant and dark green leaves including stems without yellow sign. Spinach leaves should be fresh and tender without any spots or bruises court. If you need to store spinach, avoid washing as it can cause deterioration.
can be stored in freezing up to 5 days by placing it in the plastic bag with the air passage technique. It should be washed two to three times correctly under tap water to wash all the sand and soil collected on the leaves and stem.
How to enjoy spinach
Palak Spinach can be eaten or simply making a Bhujua it. It can also be used in the salad to improve the nutrient content of the salad. Palak Puri is also a famous dish to eat healthy. You can use the variety of curries and curry Palak-egg curry Palak paneer-soup Palak, juice Palak, Palak-eggplant cooked vegetable, Saag Palak ki roti and Bajare and etc.
facts about spinach / palak
- Spinach grown under direct sunlight has more nutrients than those grown in the dark.
- Cooked spinach is three times more health benefits than raw spinach.
- The oxalic acid content decreases the absorption of calcium and iron in the body so it is good to eat spinach with other foods rich in vitamin C.
- process of boiling the leaves spinach for 2 minutes also reduces the level of oxalic acid.
- Freezing spinach leaves reduces health benefits spinach.
- Buy organic spinach, as it is free of all pesticides.
disadvantages and side effects of spinach
like spinach has lots of health benefits, it also has disadvantages and different side effects when eat without precautions. Some of the disadvantages are:
- spinach can have some pesticide residues that can lead to health risks. Therefore, avoid side effects of pesticide health, spinach not always buy organically grown spinach inorganic.
- Spinach contains oxalates that are capable of getting crystallize and cause various health problems. Spinach should avoid eating for those who have kidney problems or stone and untreated gallbladder. Oxalates may interfere with the absorption of iron and calcium absorption body.
- Spinach also contains purines that can cause various health problems. Purines break down into uric acid and cause excess uric acid meeting in the joints that can lead to gout (red and joint pain), as well as the formation of kidney stones. Therefore, eat spinach (or other purine-containing foods) they should be avoided by people suffering from kidney problems or gout.
- spinach can cause allergy to some people.
- spinach can interfere with the proper functioning of the thyroid gland and cause deficiency of the hormone thyroxine, as it has goitrogenic compounds.
How should eat spinach One day
Actually spinach has no side effects for the average person, however, must be limited by the person who has some health problems. Spinach is naturally fat-free, sugar-free and cholesterol-free diet can be eaten a full cup daily, as it has only 7 calories. It is necessary to get the daily requirement of the body of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, which can be easily achieved by eating spinach either raw or cooked.
However eating spinach on a daily basis you should be limited by people who are on anticoagulant medication or has a problem of kidney stone or gall bladder. They should consult their doctor if they can eat spinach.
You May Also Like :