Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd (Karela)
About / Karela
bitter gourd bitter gourd or Karela is also known such as bitter gourd, bitter gourd and etc, has been named as such because of its bitter taste however, is very healthy and nutritious.
is grown in tropical and subtropical regions (Asia, Africa and etc) in the world and belongs to the family Cucurbitaceae. It was first originated in the Indian subcontinent and began to grow in China and other countries of the world during the 14 th century . It is very effective and easily found plant known for its anti-diabetes (insulin-like) and hypoglycemic properties. It contains more than 32 kinds of active components (such as Gaba, lutein, zeaxanthin, lycopene and etc), including vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
ADVANTAGES bitter / Karela pumpkin
bitter gourds are considered as the great green vegetable that is low in calories, loaded with vitamins B1, B2, B3, B9, B6, B5, C, E, K, minerals like magnesium, zinc, selenium, calcium, phosphorus, manganese, iron, beta-carotene and a good amount of dietary fibers insoluble . Some of the benefits to the nutritional health of bitter gourd are mentioned below:
Benefits of Bitter / Karela pumpkin in diabetes
Lowers sugar Down
- helps in the prevention of diabetes mellitus, as it contains a hypoglycemic insulin compound means that decreases the ground floor level of sugar in the blood and urine.
keeps insulin level
- This helps in improving glucose tolerance without any marked increase in the level of insulin in the blood .
- contains a compound called Gurmarin polypeptide which acts as bovine insulin in the body thus regulates the level of blood sugar in diabetics.
improves glucose utilization
- has the antihyperglycemic property due to the availability of charantin and momordicin that helps in improving the use peripheral glucose and increased levels of whey protein.
Protects from complications of diabetes
- Provides help in protecting the complications of diabetes by reducing the harmful effects of free radicals.
- Eating karela regularly stimulates the pancreas to secrete more insulin therefore beneficial for diabetics.
- Given karela powder (dried in the shade) with honey or water helps in curing diabetes. Drinking fresh juice daily also help.
Benefits of bitter gourd / Juice Karela
is used to treat blood disorders
- is very good for treating blood disorders such as blood boil, itching and so on caused due to toxemia. Taking bitter gourd juice and lemon juice on an empty stomach regularly helps to overcome the problem of blood disease.
removes toxins from the blood
- has the property of cleaning blood and provides relief from toxemia by removing toxins blood if TSF 2 karela juice taken daily.
Used to treat cholera
- also helps in the treatment of cholera if bitter gourd leaves juice taken with white onion juice and lemon juice.
Used to treat Pila
- taking 3 TSF juice of bitter gourd leaves mixing with a glass of milk in the early morning with the empty stomach helps in treating the problem of batteries.
is used to treat respiratory disorders
- is useful in the relief and treatment of various respiratory disorders such as bronchitis, difficulty in breathing , asthma, pharyngitis and etc, if bitter gourd juice taken with honey (diluted with water) regularly.
- also cleanses the liver (the body’s largest organ) and prevents liver disorders including jaundice.
- Applying fresh juice or juice from the leaves (tibia) in the ear helps cure earache .
Benefits of bitter gourd juice / Karela skin
is used to treat psoriasis and fungal infections
- psoriasis relief is provided, as well as help in the treatment of various fungal infections (ringworm, athletes and feet, etc.) if consumed regularly.
improves skin health
- Improves skin health if the juice karela taken with lemon juice fasting.
nourishes the skin
- This is a good source of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and other healthy nutrients that help nourish the skin.
Benefits of Bitter / Karela pumpkin for liver
Natural detoxifying liver
- is liver detoxifier good hepatoprotective in nature and help in the activation of hepatic enzymes such as glutathione s-transferase, catalase, glutathione peroxidase and etc. to prevent toxicity.
Used to treat problem hangover
- Provides help dealing with the hangover problem and protects the liver side effects alcohol nourish liver.
Used to treat hepatotoxicity
- is a very effective home treatment for alcohol-induced hepatotoxicity remedy.
Benefits of bitter gourd weight loss
Improves body metabolism
- its antioxidant character cleanses the body system and improves metabolism, which helps in weight management.
contains few calories
- is very low in calories and high in dietary fibers tend to reduce body weight.
Benefits of bitter gourd hair
ago shiny hair
- Provides natural shine and hair color if the mixture of yogurt and juice of bitter gourd is applied to the hair.
- immediate relief from dandruff problem is provided if the mixture of cumin seeds and pumpkin juice is applied bitter hair.
Relieves scalp dry scalp and itchy
- relief problem of dry scalp and itching is provided if the scalp is a properly massage karela juice or juice mixture of bitter gourd and banana is applied to the scalp.
Prevents premature Greying hair
- reduces hair loss and prevents premature graying of hair, providing better nutrition.
Other health benefits of bitter gourd / Karela
Improved body holds
- is aid to improve the body’s energy level and endurance if properly and regularly consumed.
regulates brain function
- Helps in the management of sleep disorders, the treatment of eye problems and improving eyesight between humans.
relieves symptoms of gout
- is useful in relieving the symptoms of gout, as it has cleansing effect on the liver , blood and toxic, etc., improving circulation of oxygenated blood throughout the body.
strengthens the body’s resistance
- is a natural immune stimulant which strengthens the body’s immune system by developing resistance against various infections .
improves digestion and digestive system prevents disorders
- Helps maintain healthy and good digestion, improves metabolism and provides a relief from constipation, hemorrhoids and other disorders of the digestive system for managing the proper functioning of the digestive organs.
regulates cholesterol level
- helps regulate the level of bad cholesterol in the blood thus preventing disorders high cholesterol level.
Protects from infections and allergies
- the power of the body’s immune system is increased and protects from various infections, diseases and allergies.
Used to treat worm infestation
- its bitter taste and nature is very effective against infection by intestinal parasites.
Improves lipid profile
- is lipid lowering in helps improve lipid profiles and reduced levels of total cholesterol and triglycerides nature .
, wound healing is promoted
- This helps improve the healing process of wounds, treatment of malaria and various viral diseases (measles, chickenpox, herpes, etc.).
to kill cancer cells
- have some compounds that have the ability to kill cancer by preventing the growth and spread cells.
- containing high levels of beta-carotene that helps in improving eyesight and alleviating problems eyes.
Gastrointestinal Disease Cures
- Your property anthelmintic help in curing various gastrointestinal diseases.
prevents age-related damage
- has antioxidant properties prevents both related to aging caused by free radical damage.
Combat ailments related to age
- Your vitamin availability C makes it a powerful antioxidant that helps combat-related diseases age as well as eliminating harmful free radicals.
Makes smooth skin
- makes the skin smooth and shiny by protecting wrinkles and other signs of aging.
prevents UV rays
- also acts as a protective veil against the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
Provides Mandatory vitamin K
- is a good source of vitamin K, which helps strengthen bones, the mechanism of blood clotting and increase anti inflammatory property.
Benefits of bitter seeds pumpkin / Karela
Amargas pumpkin seeds
Protects against HIV and cancer
- seeds Karela have a very effective compound called anti-HIV-protein (MAP-30), which has the capacity to protect themselves from HIV and cancer due to the strong properties antiviral and antitumoral.
- is useful for checking vomiting problems among children if the seed mixture Karela and black pepper seeds is taken.
Benefits of bitter gourd / Karela Powder
- Karela powder (powder after drying at shadow karela) helps in curing diabetes by regulating the level of blood sugar and reduce the presence of sugar in urine. Karela 5-10 grams of powder can be taken twice daily.
Benefits of Bitter / pumpkin leaves Karela
is used to treat urinary tract problem
- The juice leaves of bitter gourd is also useful in treating urinary tract problems inducing the proper flow of urine if taken with a pinch of asafetida.
Used to treat skin diseases
- juice of Karela leaves helps in treating skin diseases if applied to the affected area of the skin.
Relieves intestinal parasite Problem
- relief from intestinal parasites removing them from the intestine is provided.If karela fresh leaves juice is taken with hot water .
Nutritional benefits of bitter gourd 100 g
(Source: database USDA Nutrient)
Energy: 17 kcal
Carbohydrates: 3.70 g
Protein: 1 g
Total Fat: 0.17 g
dietary fibers: 2,80 g
Thiamine: 0.040 mg
Riboflavin: 0.040 mg
Niacin 0.400 mg
pantothenic acid: 0.212 mg
pyridoxine: 0.043 mg
folate: 72 g
Vitamin a: 471 IU
Vitamin E: 0.14 mg
Vitamin K 4.8 mg
Vitamin C: 84 mg
Sodium: 5 mg
Potassium: 296 mg
Calcium: 19 mg
Copper: 0.034 mg
iron: 0.43 mg
Magnesium: 17 mg
Phosphorus: 31 mg
Selenium 0.2 mcg
Manganese 0.089 mg
Zinc 0.80 mg
Alpha-carotene: 185 g
lutein-zeaxanthin: 170 g
How to select and store
Select always dark green, fresh color, bright, unripe, smooth, firm and small bitter gourds market. Avoid buying orange stained size, mature, big yellow, lose, bruised and bitter gourds skin wrinkled from the market. It can be stored for 3-5 days in the refrigerator in narrow air polythene bags. Before storing bitter gourds, which should be properly washed with running water with a soft clay to get rid of inside brush.
How to enjoy
can be enjoyed in many ways by cooking variety of dishes properly at home such as bhujua, kalaunji, soup, fried slices, pickles, curry, karela and chana pulse, stuffed karela (tomato, onion, garam masala, green chillies, curry leaves, garlic etc) and many more. In order to reduce its bitterness, slices of karela should be mixed with salt and lemon juice and marinate for 1-2 hours and then cooked after squeezing the water.
Side effects, precautions and disadvantages
Eating bitter gourds need some precautions because it causes some side effects and disadvantages if consumed without caution. Some are mentioned below:
- should not consume more than 2 bitter melons a day, as it can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.
- that can interfere with hypoglycemic drugs therefore should be consumed or must carefully consulted by the doctor.
- must be strictly avoided by pregnant women because it causes uterine contraction (due to laxative property) that stimulates the uterus and lead to preterm labor, vaginal bleeding, unwanted abortion or abortion involuntary.
- contains some alkaloids (quinine, morodicine, glycosides, resins and saponic etc) are generally intolerable for some people.
- Its bitter taste may develop symptoms of toxicity, such as facial redness, blurred vision, headache, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, muscle weakness and etc.
- can also stimulate menstruation and overuse it should be avoided.
How to eat bitter gourd daily
Normally should not consume more than two ounces or 2-3 bitter gourds day, as it can cause some adverse health effects. However, the daily limits of eating bitter melon may vary depending on the age and health conditions of the person.
Additional Tags for this post
is bitter kola good for an ulcer pertient |
You May Also Like :