Health and Medicinal Benefits of Turmeric (Haldi)
About Turmeric / Haldi
Turmeric or Haldi is also known as curcumin by its botanical name (Curcuma longa). It is a rhizome and perennial (grown once a year) belongs to the Zingiberaceae family as ginger. It originated in the southern region of India (Tamil Nadu). Because of their health benefits of medicinal value and importance, it has been famous as the queen of spices.
Benefits of Turmeric / HALDI
Turmeric or Haldi has wide range of benefits for nutritional and medicinal importance health throughout the world because it contains anti-oxidants, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-cancer, anti-depressant, expectorant (soothing cold and cough), anti-septic, anti-fungal, anti-flatulent (carminative), anti-retrovirals, anti-mutagenic, blood purifier, and anti-inflammatory properties, etc. It is loaded with rich amount of vitamins, minerals, protein, dietary fiber, fatty acids, phytonutrients and healthy nutrients etc. Some of the nutritional health benefits of turmeric are mentioned below:
Benefits of turmeric in food
Provides color and flavor
- Used to add as a spice in curry sauce dishes and to provide rich color and flavor.
Used as a preservative
- is a cheap preservative makes edible things to keep more days.
- is a natural pesticide dismisses domestic insects, termites, ants and etc.
Benefits of Turmeric for hair
- Apply paste of turmeric powder and olive oil on the scalp for 15 minutes provides relief from dandruff.
prevents hair loss
- hair loss by nourishing hair follicles root is prevented.
Benefits of turmeric and honey
handle blood pressure
- helps in reducing bad cholesterol and manage blood pressure to normal.
Protects from cancer
- promotes the health of the whole body and protects against cancer.
reduces the risk of irritable bowel syndrome
- detoxifies the liver, helps digestion and prevents good against the risk of irritable bowel syndrome.
Benefits of turmeric to the digestive system and weight loss
stimulates the production of bile
- helps relieve indigestion, bloating, gas and promotes weight loss by stimulating the production of bile from the gallbladder. Extra bile increases more fat digestion and helps control weight.
Prevents Digestive Disorders
- digestive disorders such as inflammatory bowel disease is prevented, including Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis and etc.
The medicinal benefits of turmeric / Haldi
Contains Powerful Medicinal property
- is a more powerful Haldi medicinal property containing spices due to the availability of bioactive compounds.
powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent
- contains several curcuminoids (curcumin as) which acts as a more potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent.
inhibits the growth of tumor cells
- Curcumin is that is a compound of poly-phenolic has ability to inhibit the growth of tumor cells thereby preventing pancreatic cancer, multiple myeloma, breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon and etc.
contains essential oils
- has variety of essential oils of nutritional health (cineol, termerone, curumene, Curlone, p-cymene and etc) having surprising beneficial effects on health.
prevents the formation of plaque in the brain
- Their anti-inflammatory and anti-amyloid properties help in preventing plaque formation in the brain amyloyd and risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
reduces the risk of coronary artery disease
- does not have cholesterol, but rich in dietary fibers that are very beneficial to control the level of blood cholesterol and blood pressure thus prevents diseases of the coronary arteries, strokes and other heart risks .
preventing degenerative diseases
- Prevents various diseases such as metabolic syndrome and other degenerative age-related diseases.
neutralizes free radicals
- property is potent antioxidant helps neutralize harmful free radicals and stimulates the body to create its own antioxidant enzymes.
Increases Brain Function
- This helps boost brain function, improving brain-derived neurotrophic factors (type of growth hormone) thus reduces the risk of problems in the brain.
reduces pain and inflammation
- reduces pain and inflammation in arthritis, osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Used to treat depression
- is useful in the treatment of depression, as a good home remedy acts as an antidepressant.
wound healing is promoted
- is a very good antiseptic and antibacterial helps in early healing of wounds and cuts and burns agent.
manages insulin and glucose level
- Help control diabetes symptoms and disease management levels of insulin and glucose levels in the blood thus preventing type-2 diabetes.
increases the body’s immunity
- contains lipopolysaccharide which helps stimulate the body’s immune system and develop resistance against bacterial, viral and fungal diseases.
Relieves Digestive Disorders
- relief of stomach gas, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, cold, cough and seasonal problems is provided, etc.
inhibits bacterial growth
- is useful in inhibiting bacterial growth in the intestine and causes the digestive system healthy, working as a cleaning agent powerful.
relieves inflammation of the respiratory tract
- relief of inflammation in asthma and other respiratory problems is provided if the mixture of turmeric powder and hot milk is taken.
Good detoxifying liver
- This is a good detoxifying the liver that increases the production of vital enzymes in the body and removes toxins from the body.
Benefits of turmeric powder
Strong therapeutic agent
- Turmeric is curcumin and good source of volatile oils that are very strong therapeutic agent and prevents cough and cold.
- Provides relief from the irritating sensation in the throat and sore throat. Drink warm milk by adding turmeric means TSF provides immediate relief.
Used to treat tooth and gum problems
- It is useful in treating gum pain, swelling and other problems if the mixture of turmeric powder, salt and mustard oil on the teeth and gums is applied before bedtime by night and washed with warm water after half an hour.
- It helps strengthen teeth and treatment of weak teeth problem if the teeth are brushed with turmeric powder and sodium Khane ka in equal amounts.
- relief from toothache is provided if the teeth are massaged with the mixture of powder and mustard oil Haldi before bedtime.
Relieves Allergy and cold
- relief of allergy is provided, Extra cold and shivering problem during the winter if one TSF blend (roasted turmeric powder and butter desi) taken with honey four to five months twice daily with regularity.
relieves symptoms of asthma
- relief of symptoms of asthma and other respiratory problems is provided if the smoke of turmeric powder and ghee (heat the mixture to simmer) inhaled with the nose.
- immediate pain relief is provided (in any body part) if the hot mixture Haldi and ginger to the area twice a day applies.
Used to treat a sprained Problem
- helps in the treatment of pain and swelling due to a sprained problem if the powder mixture turmeric 1 TSF, honey and half powder 1tsf TSF chuna in a thick layer on the zone applies affected.
Relieves cough and cold
- SORBER boiled and water mixture, Haldi and salt or water, black pepper Haldi and provides relief from cough, sore throat and tonsils cooled cold. Avoid drinking water up to an hour. Taking 1tsf mixing (Haldi and ginger powder) with hot milk or water also provides relief.
increases the level of hemoglobin
- relief is provided for anemia, increasing the level of hemoglobin in the blood if taken half TSF Haldi powder with warm milk twice a day.
Used to treat wounds seasonal
- The application of Haldi paste and Laung or coconut oil and Haldi in the wounds of season (fode and funsi) on the skin provides relief from the problem.
Benefits of turmeric powder for the skin and face
Reduces aging signs
- acts as an anti-oxidant and anti inflammatory very good agent and helps reduce the signs of aging such as wrinkles, dryness, fine lines in the skin, stretch marks, blemishes, acne problems, cracked heels and etc.
Purify whole blood
- Eating turmeric roots with warm water or warm milk early in the morning on an empty stomach helps make the skin clear and shine and free of wrinkles and blemishes. whole blood is purified and avoids the problems of acne.
provides clear and fair skin
- paste of turmeric powder and agents of natural lemon juice acts as a bleach effective skin whitener. The application of the mixture of 1 TSF turmeric powder and lemon juice 3 TSF in the face for 10-15 minutes and wash with water, provides the skin clear and fair complexion.
Makes skin glowing
- The application of the powder mixture TSF TSF turmeric 1 and 3 of milk on the face for 10-15 minutes is also very beneficial and gives a radiant skin and clear eyes.
contains natural oils
- contains natural oils that nourishes and deeply moisturizes the skin.
Makes skin healthy and smooth
- The application of the powder mixture and oils such as olive, castor, coconut or almond oil (any of them) makes the skin healthy and soft turmeric.
Makes skin imperfections and free places
- Massaging face with the mixture of chickpea flour, turmeric powder, lemon juice and milk for 5 minutes and wash off after 20 minutes, skin blemishes and spots free.
Nice Pack face
- The application of the mask of tomato juice powder and turmeric and wash with plain water after drying, makes clear, flawless and glowing skin.
Prevents chromosomes and DNA damage
- and chromosome DNA damage induced by radiation thus prevents premature aging is prevented.
alleviates acne problems
- The application of the mask of turmeric powder and sandalwood provides relief from acne problems.
burned skin Relieves
- The antiseptic property provides immediate relief of burned skin if applied with aloe vera juice on the affected part.
Used to treat cracked heel
- The application of the mixture of coconut oil (or castor oil) and turmeric powder cracked heel provides relief for 10-15 minutes and gives smooth skin.
Benefits of turmeric tea
relieves seasonal problems
- turmeric tea is a good home remedy to get relief from seasonal problems. Boil some water with turmeric powder and let it cool for 8-10 minutes, add a little honey and lemon juice and take a sip.
Increases the duration of life
- Tea consumption of turmeric daily basis increases the duration of life.
Benefits of Turmeric Milk
is used to treat infections
- a relief of microbial, bacterial and viral infections is provided by treating diseases and pulmonary congestion.
Strengthens the spinal cord, bones and joints
- is a very good natural painkiller provides pain relief and pain and strengthens the spinal cord, bones and joints.
Lymphatic System Cleaner
- Helps in cleansing the lymphatic system by increasing liver function, since it is a liver detoxifier and blood purifier.
relieves menstrual cramps and pain
- is a natural antispasmodic which provides immediate relief from menstrual cramps and pain.
induces peaceful sleep
- contains a special amino acid called tryptophan which helps induce calm and peaceful sleep at night.
Nutritional benefits of turmeric / Haldi 100 g
(Source: Database USDA Nutrient)
Energy: 354 kcal
Carbohydrates: 64.9 g
Dietary fiber: 21 g
Sugar: 3.2 g
Protein: 7.83 g
Fat: 9.88 g
Saturated fat: 3.1 g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.7 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2 g
Omega-3 Fatty Acid: 482 mg
Omega-6 fatty acid: 1.7 g
Thiamine: 152 mcg
Riboflavin: 0.233 mg
Niacin 5.140 mg
Pyridoxine 1.80 mg
Vitamin C: 25.9 mg
Vitamin E: 3.10 mg
Vitamin K: 13.4 g
Folate: 39 g
Hill: 49.2 mg
Betaine 9.7 mg
Sodium: 38 mg
Potassium: 2,525 mg
Calcium: 183 mg
Copper: 603 g
Iron: 41.42 mg
Magnesium: 193 mg
Manganese: 7.83 mg
Phosphorus: 268 mg
Zinc: 4.35 mg
Selenium: 4.5 mcg
Phytosterols: 82 mg
How to enjoy
Turmeric or Haldi can be enjoyed in a variety of forms such as spices, medicinal, cooking, beauty and etc purposes. Cooked recipes provides good color and flavor. You can add to egg salad, fried rice with dried fruit, mixed vegetables, curries, soups, tea, vegetables, etc. a lot of healthy and essential for the health of the body added nutrients if consumed daily.
How to select and store
Turmeric is widely available in markets and supermarkets at affordable prices in various forms, such as dried whole, powdered, paste, capsules and other forms of supplement. Buying turmeric powder turmeric is comfortable yet whole powder is better to choose to get pure and avoid mixing other things. Always go for organically grown commercially available turmeric to avoid the side effects of harmful chemicals used in the inorganically grown turmeric. It can be stored for a long time safely in the airtight container, cool, dry, dark place. rhizome fresh and green turmeric can be stored for several days in the refrigerator.
disadvantages, side effects and precautions
Despite having incredible health benefits, turmeric has some disadvantages and side effects that need safety precautions. Some are mentioned below:
- Some people are very sensitive and can have problems like stomach pain, dizziness, nausea, heart rhythm disturbances, dehydration, diarrhea, intestinal cramps, liver trouble, constipation and etc if taken in large quantities.
- some caution is needed during pregnancy and breastfeeding is, taking turmeric orally or by mouth should be avoided because it stimulates the uterus (premature uterine contractions) and cause menstrual bleeding, miscarriage so both a high risk of pregnancy.
- should be avoided for the problems of gastro esophageal reflux disease and gallbladder, and bile duct obstruction, gallstones and so on, as it can worse problems.
- has slight tendency to slow down the process of blood clotting and should be avoided during and after surgery.
- strictly be avoided with some medications such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, anticoagulants or antiplatelet agents.
- slight tendency to have lower blood pressure and levels of blood sugar so it should be avoided by the person taking medication for high blood pressure and diabetes.
- should be avoided taken orally, as it has a problem being absorbed well.
- You can increase the level of stomach acid and cause hyper acidity leading to heartburn, stomach ulcers, intestinal ulcer and etc.
- Some people have problems with the external application of turmeric and may develop skin rashes.
- should be avoided for some serious health problems such as obstructive jaundice, hepatitis, acute biliary colic, cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) and obstruction of the gallbladder.
How much turmeric to eat in a day
It is very necessary to eat only required amount of turmeric by normal, healthy person on a daily basis as your high doses can lead to some serious health problems mentioned above. Eat the amount of turmeric in a day depends on the conditions of age, weight, sex and health of the person, however, get their medicinal benefits all you can eat about 300-500 mg of turmeric daily. It is imperative to consult health care providers if any side effects occur or to learn more about the daily dose.
You May Also Like :