The study found that these toxins leached in five samples collected cold drinks for the study – Pepsi, Coca Cola, Mountain Dew, Sprite and 7Up -. PET (polyethylene terephthalate) that were in
A government study has found five different toxins – heavy metals antimony, lead, chromium and cadmium and phthalate DEHP compound or Di (2-ethylhexyl) -. In cold drinks produced by two large multinational companies, PepsiCo and Coca Cola
The study, commissioned by the governing body of the Ministry of Health, the Technical Advisory Drugs (DTAB) Council found that these toxins leached in five samples of cold drinks collected for the study – Pepsi, Coca Cola, Mountain Dew, Sprite and 7Up – .. of PET (polyethylene terephthalate) that were in 7Up and Mountain Dew are owned by Pepsico, while Sprite is owned by Coca Cola
The results of the test conducted in February-March this year, and reviewed by The Indian Express, also show significant leaching with increasing ambient temperature increase.
Under the instructions of DTAB, the study was conducted by the All India Institute based in Calcutta of Hygiene and Public Health (AIIH and PH), under the Ministry of Health.
According to a source aware of evolution, the test results were presented by the AIIH and PH Jagdish Prasad, Director General of Health Services and president of DTAB, a few days ago. The institute had last year filed another series of test results, where they had found heavy metals in various medicines packaged in PET bottles.
A spokesman for PepsiCo India said, “We have not received any indication or a copy of the reports of those trials and without an understanding of the methodology used, would be unable to comment on the reports. Having said this, we would like to reiterate that all our products conform to the Food Safety and Standards Regulation. We would like to reiterate emphatically that our products meet the permissible limits of heavy metals such as provided in these rules. “
Coca Cola India refused to answer. Queries sent to manufacturers of PET bottles Association went unanswered.
The AIIH and PH had collected four bottles (600 ml) each the size of cold drinks brands as samples through “stratified random sampling method”. The institute then delivered the samples to the National Chamber based in Kolkata (CLN) Essays, under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, for testing.
While there is no permissible limits of heavy metals in cold drinks, the tests found 0.029 milligrams per liter (mg / L), 0.011 mg / L, 0.002 mg / L, 0.017 mg / L and 0.028 mg / l of antimony, lead, cadmium, chromium and DEHP, respectively, Pepsi. In Coca Cola, respectively, it was found that 0.006 mg / L, 0.009 mg / L, 0.011 mg / L, 0.026 mg / L and 0,026 mg / L of heavy metals mentioned above. The results were similar to Sprite, 7Up and Mountain Dew.
Filtration of these heavy metals – PET bottles in which the drinks are packaged – increased with increasing ambient temperature. For example, at normal room temperature, the evidence found 0,004 mg / L and 0,007 mg / L lead 7Up and Sprite respectively. However, when kept at 40 degrees Celsius for 10 days, the lead increased to 0.006 mg / L and 0.009 mg / L, respectively.
The World Health Organization (WHO) considers lead and cadmium two of the top ten chemicals of “major public health problem.”
According to WHO, children are especially vulnerable to the harmful effects of lead. “Lead can have serious consequences for the health of children. At high levels of exposure, attacks lead the brain and central nervous system that cause coma, convulsions and even death. Children who survive poisoning lead can be severe mental retardation and behavioral disorders, “said WHO.
For cadmium, WHO said, “Cadmium has toxic effects on the kidney, skeletal system and respiratory system and is classified as a human carcinogen.” Chromium, antimony and DEHP are also known to cause serious side effects on the body.
In April 2015, Jagdish Prasad is learned to have directed the AIIH and PH to carry out a study on the leaching of toxins from PET bottles used for packaging pharmaceutical preparations, cold drinks, alcohol, juices and other drinks.
According to the minutes of the meeting DTAB held on may 13 in the first phase of the study, only pharmaceutical preparations have been tested and found to antimony, lead, chromium and DEHP had leached into them.
The first test results were submitted to DTAB August 2015. In response to the results, the Ministry of Health formed another high-level committee under M K Bhan, former secretary of the Department of Biotechnology.
According to the minutes of the May 13 meeting DTAB, the Bhan committee found several flaws with test results the institute and said that there was no clear evidence PET bottles contaminated drugs within them.
In a comprehensive report to DTAB in may 13 based on the first set of test results, AIIH and PH refuted each fault indicated by the Bhan committee. According to the minutes of the meeting, the institute said DTAB, “Consider a level (of heavy metals) as a safe level amounts to playing with fire.”
According to minutes of the meeting, the DTAB found no merit in the recommendations of the committee Bhan and agreed with the test results and recommendations AIIH and PH. Therefore, in the May 13 [de19459012] meeting, it recommended that the Ministry of Health must issue a draft rules prohibiting packaging PET bottles of medicines consumed by children , women and the elderly.
Courtesy: The Indian Express
For the full story, click this link