Whenever we say methi fenugreek seeds or seeds in India tend to frown or show displeasure saying it is quite bitter and have a peppery flavor. Fenugreek is a spice that gives flavor to food and is also one of the main ingredients of brines. Apart from the addition of flavor, which has a number of health benefits. Here in this article we will discuss fenugreek seeds benefits health in general.
Health benefits of fenugreek seeds
There are a huge number of health benefits and beauty of fenugreek seeds, being the major the following: –
fenugreek seeds improve hair health:
Adding fenugreek in your diet or apply it on the hair can improve hair shine. I make a hair pack that can be applied on the hair once in a week. here is the hair mask fenugreek seeds for hair:
Prepare a paste of fenugreek seeds that are soaked overnight, leaves curry, tulsi leaves and hibiscus leaves. Apply this paste on the scalp and let it stay for 30 minutes. Wash your hair thoroughly. This package is a great remedy for hair loss.
Fenugreek is an answer for acne-prone skin and boring:
fenugreek seeds may delay the chances of an outbreak of pimples. Toxins that
acne scars may even disappear. fenugreek seeds helps maintain radiant skin , because it can eliminate free radicals in our body that are to blame for the emergence of various skin problems like wrinkles, dark spots and infections.
You can even lighten the skin. fenugreek seeds can also be used as a anti-aging remedy . Here is a very simple but very effective fenugreek seeds mask for dull skin face:
Prepare a face pack using a fenugreek seed paste 2 teaspoons, 1 teaspoon of boiled milk and 1 teaspoon of honey. Apply this paste on your face and leave for 20 minutes. This package helps to repair damaged skin cells and can rejuvenate cells.
See this article for more amazing homemade masks for skin shining!
fenugreek seeds increase milk supply
Nursing mothers are always suggested incorporating fenugreek seeds in your diet. This is because fenugreek seeds to improve breast milk supply and therefore is considered a galactagogue. This health benefit of fenugreek seeds is due to the presence of diosgenin that increases the supply of breast milk.
Apart from this, the vitamins and magnesium present in fenugreek seeds improves the quality of breast milk thus improving the health of infants.
Having fenugreek seeds, since it can be difficult because of its bitterness and pungency. But they herbal tea containing fenugreek seeds or adding fenugreek seeds in preparing sweets for nursing mothers dried fruit is a good choice.
fenugreek seeds control diabetes:
Another important advantage of fenugreek seeds are helping to control diabetes type II. The natural fiber that is present in fenugreek seeds called galactomannan helps to slow the absorption of sugar in the blood.
antidiabetic properties observed in a so-called amino acids 4 – hydroxy isoleucine present in fenugreek. This amino acid increases insulin production and improves insulin sensitivity.
fenugreek seeds reduce cholesterol levels
The consumption of fenugreek seeds lowers the level of cholesterol low-density lipoprotein, thus controlling the occurrences of various diseases such as atherosclerosis, heart attacks and strokes.
The fiber content present in fenugreek helps remove excess cholesterol from arteries and blood vessels in the body, reducing the chance of blood clots.
fenugreek seeds prevent colon cancer:
The anti-cancer properties of fenugreek seeds are attributed to the presence of diosgenin which helps prevent colon cancer.
Apart from this, the non-starch polysaccharides such as tannins, mucilage, pectin, hemicellulose and bind saponin with toxins, thus protecting the mucous membrane of the colon and decrease the chances of colorectal cancer.
Here you can read some surprising benefits of ginger , which also helps fight cancer …
How use fenugreek seeds in our daily diet?
- fenugreek leaves can be dried and used as an herb, the seeds are powdered and used as a spice and the plant itself is used as curry.
- In India, we use the seeds and leaves in dals, parathas, pickles and curry. The use of any part of fenugreek is advisable as any part of fenugreek has the ability to improve our health.
- An idea of the nutritional composition of fenugreek seeds show us how much importance should be given to this spice.
Nutritional composition of fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek seeds are rich in vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
- About 100 grams of seeds provide 323 calories. These seeds contain soluble fiber in good quantities.
- Important Vitamins are present thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, folic acid, vitamin A and vitamin C. The presence of these nutrients makes it beneficial from the point of view of health.
- The minerals present in fenugreek seeds are copper, calcium, potassium, iron, manganese, magnesium, selenium and zinc.
- The amount of fiber in 100 gms seeds are 24,6 grams or more than 65% of dietary fiber. The fiber content in fenugreek seeds contains non-starch polysaccharides in an important part. The various non-starch polysaccharides present are pectin, tannins, saponins, hemicellulose and mucilage.
- Phytochemicals are present in fenugreek are choline, yamogenina, tigogenin, gitogenin, trigonelline neotigogens and diosgenin.
How to select and store fenugreek seeds
fenugreek seeds are available in stores in the form of seed, powder or paste that has been packed empty. Whole seeds are golden yellow, hard and have a delicate flavor. Avoid actions of age who are infected with the fungus and has no taste.
Therefore, this herb is loaded with much of the goodness that is inevitable to add fenugreek in our diet . These may be just some of the benefits of fenugreek seeds, the other advantages are that it can relieve menstrual discomfort, essential for weight loss and aids in digestion.
Therefore, consumed fenugreek seeds as such or incorporated into food or use it as a package for hair or skin, this spice always does wonders for our Health & Wellness.
Additional Tags for this post:
gray hair and adrenal fatigue |