Bipolar disorder or manic depression is a type of mental illness that causes frequent mood swings in a person. Within a short period of time, the person may experience states of extreme low and extreme high spirits. This disorder affects energy, energy and behavior of a person who thinks. The person may experience mania at one end and may experience depression at the other end. Cycles of bipolar disorder can last for days, weeks or months in some people. Both men and women are equally affected by this mental problem. If left untreated, the disease can be complicated and may even lead to suicidal tendencies.
causes of bipolar disorder
There are multiple causes of this disorder. Some people are genetically predisposed to the disorder. In some people the physical changes in the brain causes the disorder. Imbalance of neurotransmitters, abnormal thyroid function and increased levels of cortisone hormone are some of the factors that can cause bipolar disorder. Environmental and psychological factors are involved in the development of bipolar disorder. External factors can trigger or triggers mood swings or may worsen symptoms. Some of the triggers that can cause new episodes of mania or depression are:
- Stress – stressful life events are good or bad you can trigger this disorder. Losing a loved one or being married, being fired can cause stress and disease.
- Substance abuse- The use of cocaine and amphetamines causes mania and the use of alcohol and tranquilizers trigger depression.
- Medication Medications such as antidepressants, some cold medicines, corticosteroids, thyroid medications and caffeine can trigger bipolar disorder
- seasonal changes- episodes of mania and depression in bipolar disorder often has a seasonal pattern. Manic episodes are common in summer episodes and depression are common in winter and spring.
- Sleep Deprivation- Losing even a few hours of sleep can trigger manic episodes.
The symptoms of bipolar disorder
The expression of disease is very different in different people. Symptoms also vary in people with reference to the severity, frequency, etc. There are four episodes of state of different moods found in people with bipolar disorder. They are mania, hypomania, depression and mixed episodes the symptoms of each episode mood with unique symptoms.
symptoms of mania
• feel very optimistic or very irritable
• unrealistic belief in the ability or powers one
• Talking rapidly
• Thoughts quickly jump from one idea to another
• impulsiveness and impaired judgment
• delusions and hallucinations
signs of bipolar depression
common symptoms of bipolar depression are
• Feeling sad or hopeless
• physical and mental slowness
• problems with concentration and memory
• Sleep problems
• the thought of death or suicide
symptoms of a mixed episode
a mixed episode of bipolar disorder has symptoms of mania and depression. Common signs of mixed episodes are:
• Depression with agitation
• Racing thoughts
If you notice symptoms of bipolar depression itself or another person, it is necessary for the long-term treatment. Doctors may prescribe the drugs needed for the problem. Those who are interested in natural ways to treat the problem can opt for home remedies for bipolar disorder.
Home Remedies for Bipolar Disorder:
The following are home remedies you can try a natural way to treat Bipolar disorder.
1. Gingko Biloba
gingko biloba is an extract from gingko tree and is an herb that will help boost your memory. It will help to improve blood flow to your brain and help in improving memory function of the brain. It is also an antioxidant in nature. It is a very effective herb used in the treatment of bipolar disorders and other mental problems and disorders.
• You can use this herb to combat the symptoms of depression and improve mood.
• You need to consume this herb regularly for at least 8 to 12 weeks to see the positive and effective changes in your mood.
2. Fish oil
Fish oil is found to be very effective in the treatment of bipolar disorder and help in preventing frequent changes of mood. Fish oil is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, which is very effective in treating bipolar disorder problems. It is advisable that people suffering from bipolar disorder consume fish oil every day to overcome depression and mood swings frequent changes.
• Regular consumption of fish such as salmon, herring, tuna, trout and mackerel are rich in omega 3 fatty acids will help in the treatment of bipolar disorders greatly.
• also help in reducing the occurrence of manic episodes.
• If you do not like the smell of fish or do not eat fish, then you can replace with over oil supplements fish counter.
3. Passion Flower
Passionflower is a very effective home remedy you can think of in regard to bipolar disorder. The herb provide a calming effect on the nerves that help in providing a fair balance of neurotransmitters in the brain. This herb has to be taken every day without fail to get relief from anxiety and depression.
• Passionflower help reduce the effect of insomnia that occurs due to hectic and depression phases.
• sedatives and tranquilizers have properties that provide relief emotion face during a manic phase of bipolar disorder.
4. Valerian root
Another natural herb that can be used as a home remedy to treat bipolar disorder is valerian root. It has strong sedative properties that help in providing a good sleep for people who suffer from sleep disorders. It is ideal for people who have pain severe and frequent headaches option. It is known to be very effective in the treatment of bipolar disorder as well as mental problems.
• Valerian root is a natural herb that can be easily purchased on the market in the form of a tablet or capsule or herbal tea or liquid extract.
• It will help in effectively reducing anxiety, stress, nervous tension, anxiety and mild to moderate mood swings in people.
Licorice is another natural herb that can be used to treat bipolar disorder problems effectively. It is one of the few natural herbs that can be used to treat a large number of symptoms associated with bipolar disorder. This will help in increasing the production of active hormone that is present in the brain. Ingesting licorice herbal tea daily will help in the treatment of bipolar disorder problems.
• Take a teaspoon of licorice powder and add in a cup of water.
• Boil water for about ten minutes.
• Strain the solution and drink licorice tea. Drink this tea every day to treat depression caused by bipolar disorder.
6. Flaxseed oil
Flaxseed oil is rich in alpha linolenic acid which is a type of omega 3 fatty acids that help in reducing the symptoms of bipolar disorder greatly. It has investigated the linseed oil is effective in treating depression caused by bipolar disorder. Flaxseed oil has been found to be very effective in increasing the effects of conventional treatments for bipolar disorder. It works well when used together with conventional medicine and will help alleviate the problems of bipolar disorder.
7. Gotu Kola
gotu kola is a natural herb that has been found to be very effective in treating depression and anxiety in many people. It is important that you do not take this herb if you are taking medication for diabetes or cholesterol-lowering drugs. Therefore, it is advisable to consult your doctor or physician before using the herb to treat bipolar disorder.
• Taking gotu kola regularly will help to demonstrate the relief of various symptoms associated with bipolar disorder, especially depression and anxiety.
8. Black Snakeroot
Black or Black snakeroot Chosh is a kind of natural herb that will function as a nervous system depressant and may help in the treatment of bipolar disorder. The herb also has sedative properties that help you get rid of some of the symptoms of bipolar disorder.
• Black snakeroot grass has to be used together with the Indian root for effective results and to lessen the symptoms of bipolar disorder.
• It is important that you do not use the herb for longer duration, because it can cause liver damage.
9. St. John’s Wort
If you are suffering from mild depression problems due to bipolar disorder, then you need to think about taking the herb St. John’s wort. It is also a very effective antidepressant. It is important that you consult your doctor or physician before taking this herb because it has certain side effects when taken with other medications and antidepressants.
• St. John’s wort is also known to trigger mania and other complications in people suffering from bipolar disorder and therefore should only be taken after consultation with a doctor.
Another important natural herb that help in improving brain function is ginseng. It is a very good herb that will help improve the power of concentration, attention span and memory level of patients with bipolar disorder.
• Ginseng is very effective in treating depression due to bipolar disorder and is also found to be effective in treating people suffering from lethargy and fatigue due to bipolar disorder.
• It is recommended that herb ginseng is taken after consultation with your doctor.
11. Foods to avoid
is very important to stay away from eating certain foods that can easily trigger bipolar disorder.
• The fat foods have to be avoided because it will lead to insomnia and irritability in people with bipolar disorder.
• It is important to avoid alcohol, since it is a depressant.
• Ensure that caffeine foods are avoided, as it will reduce sleep.
• Sugar should also be avoided as it can sometimes become a depressant.
• Red meat has also been found to cause irritability in people with bipolar disorder and therefore should be avoided altogether.
Lithium is found to be a very effective home remedy bipolar disorder and is widely suggested by the medical community. Manic behavior in people with bipolar disorder was found to be lower in people living in areas where water had increased amounts of natural lithium levels.
L-tyrosine is a nonessential amino acid that has been found to be very effective in the treatment of symptoms of bipolar disorder. It is important for patients suffering from bipolar disorder to increase amino acids in your body and this can be achieved easily by taking supplements of L-tyrosine. Some of the foods that are rich in L-tyrosine are:
• Milk Products
Have you or someone in your family suffering from mild to moderate problems of bipolar disorder? You want to know if there are natural ways by which you will be able to reduce the symptoms of bipolar disorder? You will then have to try some of the aforementioned natural home remedies that help reduce the effect of symptoms of bipolar disorder to some extent.