I’ve been making my own soap for a long time, both cold process and hot process in a crock pot . It may seem very intimidating to start making your own soap, but everyone I know who really tries to be surprised how easy it is.
hot vs. cold process soap
As I explained before both methods of manufacturing water use soap, bleach and a combination of oils. The additional step of heating the mixture with hot process soap accelerates saponification process and results in a manufacturing process faster soap.
There are advantages and disadvantages of each type of soap. hot process creates a faster soap and cold process often creates a mild soap, although I found both work very well in my skin.
A third option have only experienced with little is using a melt and pour soap base (as this soap base cocoa butter or is goat milk soap base ). This option does not require any type of bleach and is faster and easier for those who do not want to deal with the chemistry of soap making. Essential oils, clays, salts and other natural ingredients can still be added to the melt and pour soap, but I prefer to use the method of cold or hot process so you can control the proportions of oil in the soap.
Melt and pour soap can be a gateway to the manufacture of regular soap for those still a little hesitant to use bleach, but I’ve realized that the most profitable and natural option is to start from scratch.
bleach is dangerous?
As I explained in my recipe original soap
When bleach is used in the manufacture of soap, which is what is called a reagent , which means that is used in a chemical reaction to create other substances. In the manufacture of soap, a mixture of water / bleach carefully measured is mixed with natural oils in a process called saponification. Lye is simply an agent used to create the soap oil and water.
No unreacted lye remaining in the soap made correctly. If you are thinking of making soap undoubtedly be very careful with bleach unreacted using a calculator soap to make sure you are using the correct ratio of water / bleach / oils, but do not be afraid of this process old age. I was not able to find in any of our four local hardware stores so I ordered it online. If you have a local hardware store (not big brands) that might also be able to special order for you.
Now I feel safe using lye for soap making, I just take precautions and do not use it when my kids or around. It is also very important to remember that adding bleach to water and not water to bleach (which can cause an explosion).
clay and charcoal?
Why add clay and charcoal for soap? When I started experimenting with adding these to my soap recipes, I was a little unsure of how they will work. After all, both are great for masks and teeth whitening but they would not leave residue on the skin?
I found that absolutely does not leave a residue on the skin, and they are absolutely perfect for greasy skin or acne trend because they are naturally anti-bacterial and toxin elimination.
actually made these as a body soap (and that certainly can be used that way) but I fell in love with them as a mild facial soap that works incredibly well. I still use the oil cleaning method but for other occasions when I need to wash my face, I use this gentle cleansing soap.
Calculation of percentages
using SoapCalc.net to calculate the proportions of this soap and recommend recommend, especially if you are new in the manufacture of soap. I wanted to use a mixture of coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil, so I entered them into the calculator soap and gave these figures:
By manufacturing soap, is very important to measure weight. I use a digital scale and measured by grams to be precise. This ensures that no bleach remaining in the recipe and fully saponified oils. Also I have the following tools and materials at hand for making soap:
charcoal soap Ingredients:
How to make charcoal soap
- Make that your work area is clean, airy and no children nearby. This is not a good recipe for kids to help with caustic lye is because until mixed with water and oils.
- Measure liquid oils (by weight) and poured into the slow cooker. Turn on high only until the oils are heated and then reduce to a simmer. At this time, Add the clay and charcoal and use a blender to incorporate fully.
- While the oils are warming, carefully measure the bleach and water separately. TIP: This is the only thing that I always use disposable plastic cups. Weigh nothing on the scale of what makes easy measuring and maintain three separate cups labeled:
- water, lye and oil to use for this purpose only. I reuse them every time for not wasted and I do not care about anyone drinking out of them because they do not usually use these types of drinks.
- carefully take the cups with water and bleach outdoors or in a well ventilated area. Pour water into a quart or larger glass jar. Gloves and eye protection, add the lye to the water slowly. Do not add water to LYE (this is very important). Stir gently with a metal spoon, making sure not to let the liquid comes into contact with your body directly.
- While stirring, this will create a cloudy white mixture gets very hot. Leave this mixture in September for about 10 minutes to cool. It should become clear and not cloudy when it has cooled.
- When the oils in the crockpot have warmed (about 120-130 degrees F), slowly pour in the mixture of water and bleach and stir.
- quickly rinse the container used to mix water and bleach out in the sink. Rinse well and then re-rinse with white vinegar to ensure that all the bleach has been neutralized.
- Use metal or wooden spoon to stir the mixture of bleach / water in the oil mixture in the crockpot. Once uniformly mixed, using the mixer to mix for about 4-5 minutes or until opaque and begins to thicken.
- Cover and keep on low heat to thicken. I set a timer for 15 minutes and check it every 15 minutes until ready. It starts to boil and bubble in the sides first. After about 35-55 minutes (depending on the clay pot) that enough so that the entire surface is bubbly and the parties have collapsed thickens.
- At this point, turn off heat and remove the pot. If you use essential oils aroma, add them now. I added lavender and orange.
- spoon quickly and carefully into molds. I have often heard of people using empty containers Pringles, but I have not tried. I have used empty boxes lined with parchment paper.
- cover the molds with parchment paper and set in a cool, dry place.
After 24 hours, pop soap molds. It can be used immediately, but I’d rather let it rest for a few days to last longer.
This soap will leave some residue on the bottom of the shower over time, but I found that this is easy to clean with a quick microfiber clean every day.
never has made its own soap? How did it go?Additional Tags for this post:
themal soap |