cervical erosion is a common condition where cells within the cervical canal and are growing out on the outer surface of the cervix. This condition is also known as vaginal cervical erosion or ectropion. The outside of the cervix is then looks at the abraded, inflamed and infected left. It can occur in pregnancy, young women and menopause. Here are the causes, symptoms and treatment.
vaginal erosion images
- vaginal erosion images
- cause cervical erosion
- cervical ectropion in pregnancy
- cervical erosion symptoms
- cervical erosion and cancer
- treatment of cervical erosion
The cervix is the lower part of the uterus. It can feel right at the top of the vagina. It is often called the cervix. This section of the female reproductive system is usually covered by two types of cells.
- The outer surface is covered with similar skin cells.
- Towards the inside of the cervix are small glands in the lining of the cervical canal that make liquid called mucus.
discharge and bleeding are some of the primary signs of infection and abnormality in the cervix. In the case of cervical erosion, ulceration of the lining of the uterus in this part of the matrix. This results in pink spots or patches of bright red in the opening of the cervix. Then the images and pictures of vaginal erosion for further elaboration is.
cause cervical erosion
What causes cervical ectropion? It is believed that the general cause of cervical ectropion is hormonal imbalances in women. The hormone estrogen is most to blame for this condition. However, doctors also listed trauma, some chemicals and infections in the cervical canal as causes of vaginal erosion or abrasion.
1. hormonal changes of estrogen
The epithelial lining of the cervix responds to estrogen levels in your body. According to the Darent Valley Hospital, “ cervix enlarges and the columnar epithelium of the cervical canal moves out to cover part of the cervix .” This is a response to increased estrogen during puberty.
- The same vaginal ectropión also found to occur in some pregnant women as a result of increased estrogen.
- Teens also have an increase in the hormone. That’s why some of them may suffer cervical erosion.
- Women combined birth control pill they may also experience vaginal erosion. The pill affects estrogen levels in the body, which in turn triggers the cervical ectopia.
- cervical erosion in infants is as a result of maternal response to estrogens in the uterus. When examined ab birth, about a third of female babies was found to have this type of ectropion.
- At menopause, women with hormone replacement therapy (HRT) can be found to suffer vaginal erosion. The pills, creams and patches estrogen can cause ectopia.
Some women undergoing hormone replacement therapy during menopause and can not suffer the uterine erosion.
2. Vaginal infections
cervical erosions itself is said to leave the cervix and uterus prone to infections. vaginal yeast infections and bacterial infections, such as bacterial vaginosis can be a sign of ectopia too. There is little evidence linking infections to cause cervical erosion.
- Some sources, however, still list the cervical canal infections as a cause.
- Changes in cervical cells is said to leave the area susceptible to infections. It is for this reason that cervical ectropion always associated with infections.
- Some sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as syphilis and herpes are also thought to lead to ulcers on the cervix. This can be evidenced by pus cells or ulcers around the neck of the womb.
3. trauma and inflammation
Trauma in the cervical region and irritation can also contribute to this condition in some women. This is very common in women who use intrauterine devices. If you use tampons are inserted into the vagina, especially for an extended time, you can also get the erosion of the vagina or cervix.
Intercourse, insertion of a speculum and other objects into the vagina is believed to be one of the causes of erosion.
It is also believed
introducing chemicals in the vaginal region to be one of the causes of cervical ectopia. The most common sources of chemicals that can cause ectropion and vaginal discharge include some contraceptive creams and foams, douches and even some bath soaps.
cervical ectropion in pregnancy
cervical erosion in pregnancy (as already mentioned) is the result of fluctuations of the hormone estrogen in the female body. In addition to the changes, pregnant women suffering from cervicitis may also be prone to erosion of the cervix.
Cervicitis is inflammation of the surface that covers the cervix. This inflammation can be caused by childbirth, allergies, sensitivity, sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) or other types of infection in the cervix and uterus.
- Apart from cervical erosion, cervicitis women can be found with small cysts filled with mucus on the walls of the cervix.
- In chronic cases, you may experience bleeding after intercourse .
Importantly, cervicitis and cervical ectopia are nonmalignant conditions. They also should not be seen as causes of cancer, although, as we shall see, can precede cervical cancer in rare cases.
cervical erosion symptoms
Most women suffering from cervical erosion does not show prominent symptoms. However, when erosion is significant, some symptoms may be evident. Discharge, pain during intercourse and bleeding may be accompanied by this condition. These are the signs and symptoms of vaginal ectropión.
1. Vaginal discharge
ectropion and vaginal discharge are closely linked. You may notice an increase in the amount of flow in the vagina that may seem abnormal. The discharge can vary in color, although most of the most common class is a yellowish discharge.
- When infections occur in this region, pus cells can produce yellow discharge.
- In severe cases, the discharge may have a foul smell.
During routine vaginal exams, some women may be found to have a discharge without any infection. This may mean that they have cervical ectropion by bright red blood cells is evident in the exterior walls of the cervix.
2. Bleeding after sex and between periods
Another symptom of ectropión vaginal bleeding after intercourse, between periods. This usually occurs sometime after the period or even earlier period. If you usually experience slight bleeding or light that is not your menstrual period could be the erosion of the cervix.
- Columnar cells are fragile and can break easily.
- Any type of trauma or pressure in this region can easily cause the bleeding.
- cervical erosion and bleeding in early pregnancy for almost any reason may be related to this condition.
Bleeding can also occur after defecation. If the post coital experience spotting or bleeding, especially during pregnancy, you should consult a doctor for check just to make sure it’s nothing serious.
Pain and discomfort are also other signs that are associated with vaginal erosion. Some women complain of back pain. Others complain of pain during intercourse, also called dyspareunia. cervical ectropion can also lead to pain after intercourse and when subjected to cervical screening.
Pain is caused by the bleeding of the delicate glandular cells. They end up producing more mucus and liquid squamous epithelial cells in the uterus.
Other symptoms of erosion in the cervix may include infertility, poor general health and frequent back pain. These, however, are not directly related symptoms cervical erosion. Instead, they are linked to infections resulting in the pelvic region.
4. Can cervical erosion causes infertility?
So far, there has been no direct link between the vaginal ectropión and infertility. Some doctors and gynecologists believe that infertility is caused by the change in the vaginal pH which does not favor the survival of sperm into the cervix.
- In and of itself, this type of erosion does not make you infertile or make it difficult to get pregnant.
cervical cancer and Erosion
Cause erosion cervical cancer? According to Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust, cervical ectropion is not associated with cervical cancer or any other condition that is linked to cancer.
Vaginal cancer in its early stages may not show any signs or symptoms. During regular gynecological examinations such as pap smears, some symptoms can be discovered. In general, the following are the most common symptoms of vaginal cancer should watch out to avoid confusion with cervical ectropion.
- Abnormal vaginal discharge, usually a watery discharge
- Frequent urination
- Pain during intercourse
- painful urination
- A lump in the vagina
- Pain in the pelvic area
- Pain in the back or legs
- Swelling in the legs
not ignore any of these symptoms. A bloody vaginal discharge should be enough to see your doctor right. Some of these symptoms may be associated with HPV as well, so it is important to watch carefully.
treatment of cervical erosion
cervical ectropion causes no problems in most women. It can disappear by itself and therefore may not need treatment. However, due to this condition and other complications in the cervix, glandular cells may bleed more easily.
As a result, the cervix can produce a lot of mucus and can cause bleeding. Pain during and after sex can also be a source of anguish. These symptoms may require treatment. There are two general treatments available for cervical erosion.
The cautery is used where there is much need to stop the bleeding and spotting. Glandular cells are sealed using this method to stop bleeding. Cautery, also known as diathermy uses electrical current to cauterize the top layer of cells of coagulation.
The doctor will use an anesthetic before this treatment. This is the most common method used to get rid of the bleeding. It can be done on an outpatient basis.
This is an option that uses a freezing cold treatment instead of electric current. It nitrogen oxide compound is used to destroy the clotting cells and get rid of symptoms such as bleeding and pain during intercourse.
Antibiotics for infections
In the case of infections, which are likely to be common because of frequent bleeding in the cervical area, the doctor may prescribe antibiotics. While antibiotics are not a direct treatment of cervical erosion, which can help control infections.
Note that if you see any of the above symptoms, do not try home remedies and natural cures as can worsen the problem. Consult a doctor for diagnosis, counseling and treatment for cervical ectropion or vaginal erosion.