Home » Natural Home » Carbon Monoxide: Is Your Home Safe?

Carbon Monoxide: Is Your Home Safe?

Carbon Monoxide- is your home safe

This post is about a fairly basic issue is not necessarily specific for natural life ? But it is important for health, especially at this time of year. Preventing this problem takes less time pulling the oil and costs less than fermented cod liver oil .

carbon monoxide

carbon monoxide poisoning kills hundreds every year and sends 20,000 more to the emergency room, especially during the winter months. In fact, I am choosing to write about this now because the daughter of someone who lives near us was recently hospitalized after being found unconscious in his crib of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas, so it is undetectable by human senses

according to CDC :.

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms are similar to other diseases. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.

This is especially dangerous because the red blood cells is taken from carbon monoxide faster than oxygen so if there is a lot of carbon monoxide in the air, you can replace the oxygen in the cells, resulting in lesions, tissue damage and eventually death.

unborn children, babies, the elderly and people with health problems are especially at risk. Since the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to symptoms of other diseases, many people do not realize they have carbon monoxide poisoning until some damage is already done.

What makes high levels of carbon monoxide?

carbon monoxide is produced by sources of liquid or solid fuel burning appliances such as a gas or wood stove. Things as heat gas or gas water heater can also be a source of carbon monoxide. Vehicles running in an enclosed area such as a garage can also cause carbon monoxide poisoning. These potential sources are considered carbon monoxide

  • wood stoves, stoves or fireplaces
  • Any type of heater oil as a stove, furnace or boiler
  • Any device oil, propane or natural gas as a water heater, furnace, water heater, stove, stove or fireplace
Related Post:  What is the Best Type of Natural Salt?

Safety Commission Consumer product offers these suggestions to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Make sure appliances are installed and operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes. Most appliances should be installed by qualified professionals. Have the heating system professionally inspected and serviced annually to ensure proper operation. The inspector should also check chimneys and blocked ducts, oxidized, partial and complete disconnections, and loose connections.
  • Never service fuel-burning appliances without proper knowledge, skills and tools. Always consult the user manual when performing minor adjustments or servicing combustion equipment.
  • Never operate a portable generator or other gasoline-powered tool either in or near a confined space such as a garage, house, or other building. Even with the doors and windows open, these spaces can trap CO and authorizes him to quickly build to lethal levels.
  • Install a CO alarm that meets the requirements of the current UL 2034 safety standard . A CO alarm can provide some additional protection, but is not a substitute for proper use and maintenance of appliances that can produce CO. Install a CO alarm in the hallway near every sleeping area of ​​the house. Make sure the alarm can not be covered by furniture or curtains.
  • Never use camping equipment portable combustion inside a home, garage, vehicle or tent unless it is specifically designed for use in an enclosed space and provides instructions for safe use in a enclosed area.
  • Never burn charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle or tent.
  • Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open.
  • Never use gas appliances such as stoves, ovens or clothes dryers to heat your home.
  • Never operate the unvented combustion appliances in any room where people are sleeping.
  • do not cover the bottom of the furnace natural gas or propane with foil. Doing so blocks the flow of combustion air through the apparatus and can produce CO.
  • During home renovations, ensure that the appliance vents and chimneys are not blocked by tarps or debris. Make sure appliances are in good working order when completed.
Related Post:  Homemade Dog Food: Real Food for Pets

How to detect carbon monoxide

Most states and many countries require detectors carbon monoxide, but only in homes that have an active source of carbon monoxide as a gas stove or fireplace or wood stove.

have always had a carbon monoxide detector, even when we lived in a house that has no carbon monoxide producing devices. Here’s why …

A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that carbon monoxide can pass through drywall. ( source ) Our family lived in apartments for many years before we bought a house, and especially in apartments and duplexes, carbon monoxide can seep through the walls of a neighboring unit, so it is possible to get carbon monoxide poisoning even if you do not have a device producing carbon monoxide.

detector carbon monoxide inexpensive can detect dangerous levels of carbon monoxide and provide reassurance. If you have a carbon monoxide detector that is interrupted or if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, immediately go outside or to a source of fresh air and call the appropriate emergency department.

Need a detector?

Since we have always had young children, I have always considered that has a carbon monoxide detector a simple step that we could take to avoid even the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning in our children.

in our house, we these plug in carbon monoxide detectors with battery backup . They were the most highly rated by Consumer Reports and Amazon. We on each floor of the house, near the things that have the potential to create carbon monoxide (gas water heater, heating and fireplace).

There are also Fully battery operated carbon monoxide detectors and plug fully into the detectors that are a little cheaper.

Especially if you have a content of carbon monoxide production device, please obtain a carbon monoxide detector with a good rating to ensure that your family and your home is safe.

do you have a carbon monoxide detector?

You May Also Like :
==[Click 2x to CLOSE X]==
Trending Posts!