with the recent release of nutritional broth book and increased news articles about the stock, I received many questions about the benefits of bone broth.
benefits of bone broth
broth is an ancient food that traditional cultures and trained chefs have been using for a long time and has recently regained popularity and was even called “fashion “on the Today program.
A true “what is old is new again” story that our great-grandmothers probably laugh, modern culture is finally catching up to what traditional cultures have known for years … that the broth is a source inexpensive and versatile nutrients.
years, many families keep a pot of soup simmering on the stove. This provided an easy base for soups and other recipes and also a way to keep fresh broth before the invention of the refrigerator. It is one of many traditional foods that we have largely forgotten in modern culture, but I’m glad to see her back doing.
is easy and simple broth to boil the bones (beef, chicken, fish, etc.) in water with an acid (such as vinegar) and optional spices, vegetables and herbs. Broth can boil for as little as 4 hours or up to 48 (or more as they did traditional cultures). Here’s my recipe and a tutorial but in case you need some convincing, here are some of the many reasons to eat soup regularly:
The absorption of nutrients
broth is wonderful for nutrient absorption thereof:
- is a source of bioavailable nutrients in an easily digestible form
- the structure of amino acids and a high content of gelatin makes it soothing and healing to the intestine and improves absorption of nutrients from other foods, so
supports skin, hair, nails and joints
broth contains collagen, which it is compatible with the hair, skin and nail health. Collagen keeps skin smooth, firm skin and reduces wrinkles. Heather Mommypotamus cites a study in mice, where a group is exposed to sunlight (time and increasing intensity) and another group was exposed to sunlight (the same), but received the supplemental gelatin. In his words
When the results were measured, “mice exposed to light without gelatin had an average decrease of 53% in the collagen content of the skin compared with mice that did not receive the UV light exposure at all. Surprisingly, mice were exposed to light, but also feeds gelatin had no decrease in collagen at all. actually had a collagen average of 17% increase. ” ( source original study emphasis mine)
The gelatin bone broth also helps strengthen hair and nails and accelerate their growth
necessary amino acids
broth is an excellent source of several essential amino acids, which are often difficult to obtain from diet alone :.
- Proline : A precursor of hydroxyproline, which the body uses to produce collagen, proline helps the body break down proteins and helps to improve the elasticity and smoothness of the skin ( and preventing wrinkles). It is often recommended for its heart benefits, including keeping arteries stiffening
- glycine :. Necessary for the synthesis of DNA and RNA and digestive health. It is used for production of glutathione, for the regulation of blood sugar and digestion (although regulation of bile salts). Dr. Sara Ballantyne “Glycine also enhances muscle repair / growth by increasing creatine levels and regulation of secretion of human growth hormone from the pituitary gland.”
- arginine : useful for proper kidney function, wound healing and adequate renal function. There is some evidence that arginine is useful for keeping arteries flexible and improve heart health, although further studies are needed
- Glutamine :. This great guest post from Steve of SCD Lifestyle talks about the role of L-glutamine in intestinal health and how to use it properly. bone broth is an excellent source of glutamine and is recommended (required) in GAPS protocol that was used to reverse the dairy my child’s problems and skin problems.
is important to note that these amino acids are not technically considered “essential” because the body makes them itself. Since only made in small amounts in the body, much of the research that I have read suggests that it is beneficial to consume from dietary sources as well.
Gut and Immune Health
chicken soup is a remedy for timeless disease, but modern research is starting to understand their role in the immune health. As we now understand that much of the immune system is in the gut, the broth is especially useful because of its high content of gelatin / collagen supports gut health and amino acids help reduce inflammation.
Dr. Campbell McBride author of Gut and Psychology Syndrome says that gelatin helps “cure and seal” the gut, and in doing so, it is useful to reverse the leaky gut syndrome and digestive problems.
Caldo vs Bone broth against
Nourished Kitchen offers a great explanation of the difference between these terms:
- broth is typically made with meat and may contain a small amount of bone (think of the bones of a fresh whole chicken). Broth is typically cooked for a short period of time (45 minutes to 2 hours). It is very light in flavor, fine in texture and rich in protein.
- of is typically made with bones and may contain a small amount of meat (think of the flesh that sticks to beef neck bone). Often, the bones are roasted before simmering, as this simple technique greatly improves the flavor. Stocks, for example, may have a faint acrid taste if the bones are not roasted first. Stock is typically baked to a moderate amount of time (3 to 4 hours). Stock is rich in minerals and gelatin.
- Bone Broth it is typically made with bones and may contain a small amount of meat that sticks to the bones. As with the action, the bones are usually roasted first to improve the taste of bone broth. bone broths are typically simmered for a very long period of time (often more than 24 hours). This long cooking helps eliminate as many minerals and nutrients as possible bone. At the end of cooking, so many minerals have leaked from the bones and the bones bouillon crumble when gently pressed between thumb and forefinger.
broth is extremely versatile and many chefs use as a base for soups, sauces, salsas and more. Here are some great ways to use the broth:
- As a basis for soups and stews
- In a cup itself as a hot drink
- as basis for the sauce and the sauce
- use it to cook vegetables in additional nutrients
- Dehydrate to make your own broth powder ( instructions here )
also, gelatin powder can be used to make healthy snacks and food, plus broth, such as:
Where to get broth
in my opinion, the best way to get broth is do it yourself. This is the most densely face and nutrients at least for the broth if you can find quality (grass-fed, organic) bone locally.
If you can not or just do not want to make the broth, there are now some places you can order online and have it shipped. My favorite is called The Brothery and shipped within the continental United States. Theirs is by far the best soup I’ve ever tasted (although homemade is quite comparable). If you do not live in the US, try to find a similar service near you
Podcast: The benefits of broth with Chef launches
article: How do bone broth
Points organic sale Bone broth
chest. 2000 Oct; 118 (4): 1150-7
glycine and http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/why-broth-is-beautiful-essential-roles-for-proline- -gelatina /
Study: effectiveness of glutamine enriched enteral nutrition in an experimental model of ulcerative colitis mucosal
Study :. glutamine and preserving the integrity gut
Study: The effect of bone broth concentrated as dietary supplementation on bone healing in rabbits
Study: bone and vegetable stock
do you make broth? What is your favorite way to use it?Additional Tags for this post:
men bone increase panna fruits ? |