The mercury used in thermometers and other measuring devices, is a highly toxic substance which can enter the body through inhalation, ingestion or absorption through the skin.
Therefore, leakage of mercury from broken thermometer is serious danger that should not be underestimated and the need to react accordingly. And if that happens, do not panic, but follow our advice on how to safely clean mercury.
- In any case, do not use a vacuum or broom! Thus, in addition to expanding the mercury over a larger area and pollute the air with particles, increasing their chances of inhalation.
- Do not pour mercury down the drain! can remain trapped in the pipes and continue to evaporate in the room.
- Immediately remove clothing and shoes because there is a danger of being contaminated with mercury. This will help prevent the spread of mercury in the house.
- The clothes have been in contact with the mercury not put them in the washing machine! Thus, the mercury will spread throughout the machine and contaminate the clothes will continue to wash. Therefore, it is safest to wrap them in a plastic bag and discard.
How to clean mercury?
- Insulate the room! All people and pets should leave the room.
- Open all doors and windows that go outside the building and close those doors that are shared in which mercury is spilled with other rooms of the house.
- Use a hair dryer to take whack mercury outward in one place
- Wear rubber gloves and bring down the mercury in a paper towel, then wrap the bag.
- With a small brush smeared with shaving foam spend the entire surface to be spilled in order to gather all possible small debris.
- brush and gloves will be using the place pinch bag paper, tie it well and discard it.
- To ensure that the surface is completely clean, check again to detailed manual battery.
- Mercury can move surprising on a flat surface, so make sure you checked the entire room.
- If the carpet came into contact with mercury, not keep and dispose of it immediately.
- Let the room be ventilated for at least 24 hours after cleaning.