cough and cold usually occurs when there is a change of season. Coughing is the body’s natural way to expel unwanted air from the passage of particles. Toddlers and young children are at greater risk for this cough, because they are very sensitive to changing environmental conditions.
Young children cough can be caused by many reasons, such as allergies, weather changes, pneumonia, respiratory syncytial virus, croup, asthma, runny nose, GERD, environmental irritants, common cold , etc. Its symptoms include frequent coughing, breathing problems, sore throat, chest congestion, vomiting, watery eyes, sneezing, hoarseness, runny nose, headache, etc.
Try these natural remedies at home to get relief from cough and cold preparations, instead of sugary alternatives.
home remedies for cough for young children:
Here are some effective home remedies, natural cure coughs safe for your child listed.
1. Lemon Tea:
Lemons contain vitamin C which helps boost your immune system by increasing white blood cells to fight the virus and infection causing coughing.
- Fill a clean bottle feeding with 8 ounces of warm water.
- Add a teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice and natural sweetener.
- Mix well and then feed your baby while it is still hot.
- repeat periodically as needed.
- This process helps relieve sore throat and clear the mucus effectively.
2. Ginger tea:
Ginger stimulates saliva production which helps thin mucus secretions.
- crush a small piece of fresh ginger.
- Add to one cup of boiling water.
- let stand for a few minutes and then strain the tea.
- Give this to children 2 to 3 times a day, when it is still hot
3. buckwheat honey
buckwheat honey is rich in antioxidants and has microbes that fight the effects that help you get rid of cough and cold.
- Take a teaspoon or two of honey pure buckwheat and mix with a glass of warm water or juice.
- feeding the child regularly.
- can also add a pinch of white pepper and a few drops of lemon juice to increase efficiency.
4. Milk and honey:
Milk contains many essential nutrients such as vitamin D, calcium, zinc and proteins that help replace nutrients he lost when they were sick. Honey relieves sore throat.
- Add a teaspoon of pure honey and a pinch of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk.
- mix well and feed your child every day.
- This process helps reduce post nasal drip and cough cure the problem very effectively.
- If the mucus is becoming thick, then try the hot water in place of warm milk.
5. Steam or hot compress:
Steam can help loosen runny nose, giving the necessary moisture to the air to relieve mucus.
- Take a bowl with hot water and get a towel that covers you and your child.
- Explain how deep inhale water vapor and slowly.
- You can also use a hot shower and inhale the steam.
- Do this for 15 -. 20 minutes
- Repeat this regularly to get relief from cough.
6. The essence of soothing eucalyptus steam
The essential oil
has been extracted from eucalyptus leaves Australian eucalyptus. It can be used to treat coughs, colds, bronchitis and other respiratory problems.
- Mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil with any carrier oil like olive oil.
- massage on the baby’s chest and regularly.
- Or you can just pour a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a large bowl with warm water and wash the baby with a clean cloth.
- Or you can add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in warm bath water and give your baby a bath.
Honey contains antioxidants and can soothe the throat and gives relief from cold, cough and sore throat. It also acts as a natural cough suppressant.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of honey and give children 2 to 5 years old, 1 teaspoon for children 6 -. 11 years old and 2 teaspoons of honey to those who are over 12 years
- repeat this daily, especially at night.
- . Note: Do not give honey to babies under one year, because it can lead to any risk of infant botulism
8. Saline and drops:
saline drops are very effective in treating congestion which in turn helps to cure colds and coughs.
- Add a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water.
- Stir well and pour a few drops in the nose of his son.
- Ask them to stay that way for about 60 seconds and then allow gently blow your nose.
9. Hot and clear liquids:
Drinking warm liquids help remove mucus and coughing. For both wet and dry cough, drinking water as much as possible will help. The feed water, fruit juices like apple and orange to your baby. Give 1 – 3 teaspoon of clear liquid up to 4 times a day for children to relieve cough. You can feed hot soup and fresh chicken your child to get complete relief of cough.
Tips for reducing cough for young children:
- Taking rest and drink fluids help treat the problem if your child suffers from symptoms such as runny nose, coughing and sneezing.
- Make sure your children stay away from smoke or who smoke, since irritate the airways that are already inflamed.
- Place humidifier in the room where your child is sleeping. Remember that the humidifier must be cleaned regularly to prevent further infection.
- Use regularly clean rubber bulb to remove mucus in the nose of the child.
- Elevating the head of your baby when they are sleeping like cough will be less likely in a vertical position.
- If your child can not sleep or cough lasts more than 10 days consult a physician.
- Give cough medicines and antibiotics prescribed only your child. Follow medical instructions.
Check the health of your child by using a trusted pediatrician and follow their direction and to extract the dose prescribed. Following these remedies regularly will cure the problem. Please share your experience with us.