This is the fabulous season rhubarb. I cut a dozen stems from my garden the other day, and as I was researching what to do with them – at this point, rhubarb lemonade tops the list (it is healthy to add processo it?) – I thought I’d also take a look their health benefits.
Rockin rhubarb will give a boost to the incredible health.
5 Ways rhubarb, increase their health
1. rhubarb contains antioxidants as lycopene and anthocyanins, which helps fight the disease.
2. apparently can help lower cholesterol , boosting your heart health.
3. rhubarb stalks are a good source of fiber , to benefit your digestive health.
4. contains vitamin K , an essential property that helps clot blood, bone protection and help fight liver cancer and prostate cancer.
5. Rhubarb is also a good source of vitamin C (ideal for a healthy immune system) calcium potassium and magnesium .
• rhubarb not only come in red. You can also find pink and green rhubarb.
• The redder the stalk, the sweeter the rhubarb.
• Rhubarb has been used as a laxative for a long time.
• According to Wikipedia, rhubarb leaves is poisonous. So, um, do not eat those.
• My aunt once told me in old movies, crowds used to repeat “rhubarb. Rhubarb. Rhubarb”. Again and again to create background noise. This is probably true, because she knows a lot of things.
Make your choice of cakes, eggnog, muffins, breads and smoothies! Rhubarb can be added to a lot of things, but because of its bitter character, usually is paired with something sweeter (hence the popularity of Strawberry Rhubarb Pie summer). It is best to pair it with natural fresh foods – like apples and strawberries. In my opinion, rhubarb sprinkled sugar would deny its powerful health benefits. Although I am not against yourself occasionally.
In his book Supereating , Ian Maber says “Like many fruits, rhubarb is best eaten with fat to help absorption of carotenoids and vitamin K . refined sugar is often added to rhubarb can affect magnesium levels in other foods, so sweetened with apple juice instead. ”
Although I’m sure there are some people out there that feed on the raw material, most people like to bake or cook first. When used to punch or smoothies, the best pour boiling water over it and let it sit for a while to soften.