This great guest post was written by Dr. Goldstein Serena, a naturopathic doctor specializing in natural hormonal balance! I encourage you to go see web its !
Osteoporosis is a bone disease where bone integrity is compromised due to a lot of factors, and the bones become more brittle, ultimately, increased risk of fractures and bones that break . It is most common in postmenopausal women, especially due to the decrease in estrogen, however, it can also affect men and all the younger people.
Calcium is a well known for healthy bones ingredient, therefore ads popular milk, but the optimal bone health also involves constituents such as phosphorus, magnesium, strontium, boron, vitamin D (also helps improve calcium absorption), potassium, collagen (vitamin C is essential for synthesis), sodium, vitamin K and vitamin B complex
This wide variety of nutrients also highlights why optimal nutrition and life style is so important for bone health, and why supplements are intended to supplement, not replace food and bad habits.
Some of the main offenders
sausages, processed sugar and bleached flour all have the ability to deplete many vitamins and minerals, which are also important in many other functions in the human body related to bone. Sodium nitrate common preservative found in cured meats, can be harmful as the increased sodium could potentially reduce calcium and nitrates (required for normal function in small amounts) become as form more toxic nitrites, which increase the risk of cancer and methemoglobinemia (tissues unable to bind oxygen) (Mensinga, Speijers, and Meulenbelt, 2003).
Sugar as a whole (honey and maple syrup are better options) also reduce the amount of vitamins and minerals, however, the fruit is a better choice because of its fiber content (contributes to healthy intestinal flora to optimize nutrient absorption).
bleached flour occurs when critical nutrients are stripped from whole wheat flour, and the bleaching process involves toxic chemicals that can contribute other disease processes. While whole wheat flour is a preferred choice on white or white flour, completely avoid gluten could optimize nutrient absorption and health in general, even in patients with celiac disease not.
treat the underlying cause
A disease is literally a dis-ease, with the symptom expressed by the body that something is wrong, and that has to be fixed, but it is not always that simple. Bone fragility not just happen overnight, and out of nutrition, which can be caused by a hormonal imbalance (eg, decreased estrogen in postmenopausal women), smoking, lifestyle, sedentary thyroid or parathyroid problems, gastrointestinal problems, certain medications, autoimmune diseases, and alcohol consumption. Fortunately, efforts to achieve optimal bone health also coincide with therapies that can help solve other problems, such as prevention and doubles.
Using lifestyle like medicine
- Onions have a peptide called GPCS that can help reduce the thinning of the bones (Hitti, 2005).
- high in omega-3, such as salmon fatty acids, chia seeds, nuts, egg yolks, and hemp seeds all help improve bone density as well as benefits for cardiovascular health, disorders mood, skin health, immune health, joint health, and intestinal health.
- red clover (Trifolium pratense) – Contains phytoestrogenic (a weak version of estrogen) and other isoflavones can significantly increase high density lipoprotein (HDL “good” cholesterol), and the integrity of the radius bone and ulna (Clifton-Bligh, et al., 2001).
- Horsetail (Equisetum) – helps improve bone density especially for its high content of silica, a common mineral found in bones, which helps the body absorb and utilize calcium much better. Also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and an antioxidant because other compounds such as phytosterols and flavonoids (Badole and Kotwal, 2014).
- Optimize vitamin D levels (vitamin D promotes calcium absorption)
- Weight bearing exercise (weights in the gym for example / home, ankle weights, moving heavy objects)
- address any other health problems
lifestyle changes can be very heavy to put in place, and even those that come with the same concern of all lead different lives containing different health histories. Professional knowledgeable (s) becomes important when starting a program of weight training, for example, to help reduce the risk of injury, and understand the potential of herbal / drug / nutrient interactions, and create an individualized plan of treatment strategies that can be integrated into every lifestyle of the person.
Our body is extremely interconnected, both psychological and physiological, that treating the underlying cause by adopting preventive measures becomes essential in the fight for optimal health. As a result, many of the measures to help reduce osteoporosis may also help treat and prevent a variety of other conditions.
Dr. Goldstein Serena
Dr. Goldstein Serena, ND is a naturopathic doctor in New York specializing in natural hormonal balance nutrition used, botanical medicine, and homeopathy to discover the underlying cause of the disease. He graduated Cum Laude, double majored in Psychology and Biology Barrett Honors College, Arizona State University, and received his Doctorate of Naturopathic National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon. It has been published in well-known health and wellness resources, and collaborate with other professionals to informative lectures, and patient care. Dr. Serena is in her own practice, and lends his expertise to medical colleagues at the Hospital Poison Control Center NYU-.